1296 CW and SSB?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by W7UUU, Aug 12, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Thanks, Steve, as always.

Dave
    W7UUU

2. N2SLO

N2SLO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

23CM is enjoyable. I live in the tri-state area, suffolk long island and we have plenty pf 1296 activity. Every Monday, is activity night. Most have long yagi's, minimum 45 element loopers and also amplifiers. Since I moved in January, I dont have up 1296 yet as I need to get my antennas on the roof. Line of sight and height on 1296 is key. I am strictly SSB. Depends on your activity and mode/interest to deteemine the investment. The best I ever worked during a contest was 15 Qso's and like 6 grids.

W7UUU likes this.
  3. W1GCI

W1GCI Ham Member QRZ Page

I too have/had - can't remember if I still do - a SOTA transverter. It drove a solid state amp to about 7 watts that drove a pair of 7289s for around 80 watts out. 125 feet of 7/8 inch heliax to a 45 element looper at 100 feet. About the same setup for 903 and a little less for 2304. But, since I stopped contesting seriously - it's all down. Even with activity night to spur interest - there isn't much. Now the highest I go is 432 with a barefoot FT-847. I give out a few points during contest and that's it. One last comment - if you're going to increase power out, go solid state. It's amazing today what you can get for 1296 for little cash outlay. And yes, if you all a preamp - go tower mount.

Arnie - W1GCI

4. WA7BBI

WA7BBI Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave,
    Contact Jim, K7ND. He is the Sec of the Pacific Northwest VHF Society. He runs a 1296 SSB net on Sunday mornings. He is on Fox Island. There are quite a few 1296's in the Puget Sound area.

73, Jim WA7BBI

W7UUU likes this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Wow! Cool beans and small world indeed! I "know of Jim" but have never actually met, even though we only live 10 or 15 minutes apart. I'll ping him for some "local input"

Thanks very much, Jim!

Hey - let's get together one day soon - been a LOOONGGGG TIME! Happy to have you over to see my new shack and antenna farm and such.... lunch is on me!

Dave
    W7UUU

6. WA7BBI

WA7BBI Ham Member QRZ Page

OK Dave. It's been a crazy year, we'll work out something soon. You'll like Jim, he is a good guy.

W7UUU likes this.
  7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It was one of only a few options back in the day. I think I bought mine in about 1979 or 1980, something like that. Recall it was made in the U.K. (I think), or maybe Germany. In any case, it worked!

I used 2C39/7289's basically in series, one driving the other. I could swap them around and it worked exactly the same way.

Since "tuning" a tube amp of any kind at the frequency involves tweaking over temperature, always kept a Bird Thruline in the line to keep an eye on output. You could tune up cold, or you could tune up "hot," but they were two different tuning points.:p

Fun days.