125cm, 23cm, and Beyond

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KC9UDX, Aug 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Yep. I meant 33cm. For some reason I always type one for the other.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Here in L.A. there's quite a lot of simplex on 223.50, every day.

During "contests" (one coming up in a couple weeks) 223.50 gets so crowded it's almost unusable, so we go to other frequencies.

I don't use repeaters much, and of course during contests, not at all.

3. KE4VNC

KE4VNC Ham Member QRZ Page

I changed the software settings on my baofeng uv-b5 so that it opens up 125cm so that can be a low-cost option. The power output is about 2w but it's enough to get into a decent repeater. I bought a 222mhz Nagoya antenna for $6 to go with it. Its a bit hard buying a $50 trip band diamond for a $30 radio.....

We have a pretty busy repeater around here for drive time but it's silent most of the time. I have a g7-220 at the house and an old azden mobile that I put up the other day, so I'll call on 223.500 and see what I get.
    Congrats to everyone who scored one of the alincos- I finally got ready to buy one and they were gone!

4. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I must have gotten one of the last ones. I wish I'd gotten two!

5. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

There was a rush of interest in 223 MHz FM back in the 80's in this area. A local club got a deal from Clegg in a large pruchase of mobile rigs for that band and a couple of guys in the club found a site and built a repeater. A few other groups followed.
    The problem with this band is that it is not in use in Japan and the largest makers of ham rigs are not investing any time or work into designing and building radios for a band the home islands do not use !

6. W1GCI

W1GCI Ham Member QRZ Page

There was a time during the late 70s to early 90s that I was quite active 50 through 2304 weak signal CW/SSB. I've never done moonbounce, so activity on the higher bands was limited to mostly contests and activity night. Since I don't actively contest any more, only the 50 to 432 remains. I know that a number of guys in the Boston area have gone to 900 for their repeater comms, but other than that, I'd have to say that activity is declining, especially in the weak signal area. Maybe a good aurora would spark some interest.

arnie - W1GCI

7. AD5CL

AD5CL Ham Member QRZ Page

I had not noted this thread until just now. Yesterday I ordered two Baofeng UV-82X HT's. Up on the ranch, I would hazard a guess that less than one ham drives within 1-5w smpx distance a month. On ANY band.

I figure 1.25m will be pretty quiet for secret squirrel work. lol

8. W2NAP

W2NAP Ham Member QRZ Page

uh, I read about that mod, Also read that TX'ing on 220 with that mod tosses big spurs on the 440/450 band.

9. AD5CL

AD5CL Ham Member QRZ Page

Got the two Bowfingys yestiddy. Still playing around with them.

Once I reconditioned my mindset to interpret Engrish written with a Chingrish accent, the manual makes perfect sense. Kinda cool to set the voice prompter to "Chi" instead of "Eng". LOL

These little handys are NOT the hollow feeling Chingwa junque I have see in some products. Look and feel like an Icom, so to speak.

10. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an Icom 3AT on the shelf. There was a repeater on 220 I was able to hit at one time or another but I don't think I've applied power to the HT in years. I am working on getting on 23cm for EME work. I'm currently working on the construction of the various parts I need to physically install the dish (10 foot). Later will need to find a transverter, construct a VE4MA feedhorn & some other bits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.