ad: ARR

125cm, 23cm, and Beyond

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KC9UDX, Aug 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

We have a lot of room to operate on VHF and UHF. The most overlooked band seems to be 125cm, or 222Mc. It is a lot of fun to operate on this band, even if only in FM.

It is important that we use these bands, especially 23cm, or 902Mc, where there are other secondary users that will take this band over if we don't.

If "no one is on that band" in your area, but you are in a populated area, it doesn't take much to get others interested.

2. N1CZZ

N1CZZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There is a lot of talk on two meters about 220 mhz here in the Tampa area. Several people have bought 220 radios over the last few months.

3. K5GHS

K5GHS Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a bunch of local repeaters in a scanner just to see what is active and what isn't.

I didn't know we had as many 220 repeaters as we had, and I was surprised that a good amount of them see use. The ratio is higher than on 2m, though of course there are a lot less 220 repeaters around here than 2m.

I know of 3 that have nets a few nights a week. The next radio I get I will have to see if I can get one that includes it.

4. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

We had a big run on 220 rigs here lately.

I was lucky enough to get one of these
    AA129dj-g29t.jpg
    whilst they were still available earlier in the year.

I would certainly say the usage ratio is higher here on 222 than any other VHF/UHF band.

5. W4OP

W4OP Ham Member QRZ Page

I have 700W at the dish on 23cM. I can aim the dish at the ridge across the lake from me and work terrestrial scatter, but never hear anyone until contest time. On the other hand, lots of activity off the moon.

Dale W4OP

6. KG5RZ

KG5RZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have 222 and 900 in both vehicles. Have acquired a 900 base antenna and will soon be on 900 fm at the house. Also have two of the Alinco G-29s. Between them and the G-7 I have 2M-23CM covered with HH. 23CM mobiles will be the next project.

In the Austin area there are 4 each 900 & 222 repeaters or more. Both bands get used moderately.

7. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think I was the only guy in EN33 on 222 for quite a few years. I'd get on in contests with my very limited station and make a bunch of contacts - all 'DX' to me. On 222, I only had 10 watts and a 3 element yagi, but I did about as well there as I did on two and 432 when it came to tropo. If anything, it was better than two.

We've had some growth in FM activity around here in recent years, but there is only one repeater in the region, and it's pretty low level.

Out in California, there were some great linked repeater networks on 220. The Condor Connection comes to mind first, with great coverage of California, Reno and Phoenix.

8. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I used ot operate 6-1296, not enough activity above 432 out in SW MN to justify the expense and tower space for beams. 222 is about the same, not a lot of weak signal activity and FM out here is non-existent.

9. WA9ZZZ

WA9ZZZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

125cm, 33cm, 23cm

Is that a typo? This area (DC suburbs) does have two analog repeaters listed on the 23cm band (1.2 GHz). I have no idea how much activity there is. That band has a disadvantage of few ham rigs available and no nearby LMRs. There are also several D-STAR systems listed.

The 33cm band does have several repeaters in the area. I have acquired a couple of LMR radios to convert. Now just need to get the "round to it"s and convert them.

On 125cm there are several active repeaters. I have an Alinco on that band at home. There is some activity almost daily.

Gary
    WA9ZZZ/3

10. KJ6LXX

KJ6LXX Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a TYT 220MHz in the shack and 2 VX-6's that also do 220
    I have been on the Condor system a few times.
    What has disapointed me here in the Bay area is that other than Condor almost every other 220 repeater is connected to a 2M or 440 repeater. It takes some of the uniqueness out of it.
    and on 223.500 there is never and I mean never anyone there:(

I for one would like to see more 220 activity.
    From what some other so-cal transplants have told me, there used to be a lot of 220 activity down there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.