ad: Mountaingoat-1

12 Volt rotor for small portable antennas

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KK6USY, Feb 24, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KK6USY

KK6USY Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was out camping I set up a 2m Yagi to get onto a net and it was setup behind my box trasiler. While turning the sound up and running back and forth to tune the station running the net I thought there had to ba better way to do this like I did at my home QTH. A friend built a similar rotor and on my second video I came up with a really easy way to build it. I hope you enjoy the video and it can be of help to you.

KF0BMD, WW5HAM, EA5INF and 21 others like this.
  2. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

now you got me thinking. i like fabricating stuff. wanted to do azmuth/elevation.
    thinking of windshield wiper and door window motors for more power huh.
    i just happen to have some junk...

KI5DNS, W4THC, AK5B and 1 other person like this.
  3. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Great video.

Is there any way to put a limiter on there to prevent it from rotating 360deg?

Chris

KK6USY likes this.
  4. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

I used a small 12v gearmotor on mine.... and a DPDT switch to reverse the motion. It was cheap from Grainger, and has lasted five or six years with no problems.

KI5DNS, KK6USY and AK5B like this.
  5. KK6USY

I'm sure there is a simple way to do that Chris. When I have some free time I'm going to look into it.

KI5DNS and KI4POT like this.
  6. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

359, just add a screw so it hits it...

and these are gear motors, save junk...!windshield wiper and door window motors

KK6USY likes this.
  7. K0DHO

K0DHO Ham Member QRZ Page

This is very neat. What size PVC compression coupling pipe is that? Am guessing the one and a half inch version. Your Amazon link is defaulting to a one inch version.

Note to all: Cannot see it in the embedded video, but if watching the un-embedded version, original poster has placed bill of materials list in the video description. Link to unembedded version of video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvWvsNbghxM

KI5DNS and KK6USY like this.
  8. KX4M

KX4M XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is really great - thanks for sharing this project!

9. WA5KM

WA5KM Ham Member QRZ Page

I call it a rotator. Are all the existing units not 12V or 24V ? Cant waste data to watch a video.

WA4BOZ and KK6USY like this.
  10. KK6USY

Thanks for the post I used 1".

11. KK6USY

This was built to be light weight and portable my home TV rotator and antenna both run on 120 wall plug , but might be 12 or 24 volt . Great questio!

KI5DNS likes this.
  12. KF7PCL

KF7PCL Ham Member QRZ Page

One way I could think to do it would be to run the motor power through two NC limit switches and have an (opposite facing) diode in series with each switch. Then have a post the hits the switch on each end of the rotation.

KK6USY likes this.
  13. M0VUE

M0VUE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's quite good. I've also been making 12v antenna rotators. What I've done is designed a back plate where you put all the components onto it and it uses a simple geared motor to drive a belt to the rotator shaft. Simple but effective, they are being tested now because I was thinking of selling them as kits.

Chris
    m0vue

14. W0RIO

W0RIO Ham Member QRZ Page

Another way to add stops to a rotator is to use Hall Effect switches. A few years ago I built a similar project for rotating a small camera
    with a gear-reduction motor:
    http://www.solorb.com/elect/video/cammotor1/index.html

Note that the logic was done with a state machine programmed into a 2716 EPROM, a simple Arduino sketch would
    be a better way to go these days since most people don't have access to an EPROM programmer.

KK6USY likes this.
  15. WU3U

WU3U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's the 1" version:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CWNKJCV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

KK6USY likes this.