ad: M2Ant-1

$12 Ham Radio Power Supply

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB1THM, Apr 26, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N9BSV

N9BSV Ham Member QRZ Page

N4SC likes this.
  2. N4HLT

N4HLT Ham Member QRZ Page

not sure the link takes you to the phot of the unit mine has not come in yet

3. KB6KPK

KB6KPK Ham Member QRZ Page

I found that on that resistor to get the HP unit to turn on required a much lower Ohm than he stated on the video. He said 330 to 1k ohm?
    I tried the 1 k down to 500 ohm and it would not switch on.

When I changed and used a 100 ohm at 2 watts the supply immediately turned on and the supply output was 12.3 volts. I am now wondering if
    he read the band on his resistor correctly? 33 to 100 ?
    73 and have fun experimenting.

4. VE3GCX

VE3GCX Ham Member QRZ Page

Possible but unlikely.
    I have turned a fair number of server supplies and have never gone below 330 ohms .There is no appreciable current going through the resistor. It is just feeding a signal back to the supply.

5. KD2KNH

KD2KNH Ham Member QRZ Page

Did a yone look for a variable resistor to adjust output voltage?

6. K5SEU

K5SEU Ham Member QRZ Page

So i modded the HSTNS-PL18 as per outline of ON5VL. Voltage set to 13.8V and seemed to work fine.. until I put my HF radio on it and it shuts off at around 40watts. First I thought that RF was getting into the PS but that doesn’t seem to be the issue. Rather it seems to be the load in the PS that’s causing it. Any thoughts?? Put a lot of work into it and would love to see it work. Steps I followed as per the link. Tks!!

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://on5vl.org/alimentation-petit-prix/

7. K2DJ

K2DJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Try to lower the output voltage a little.

8. K5SEU

Thanks! That did the trick and power stays on now when running at 100w.

On SSB I do get issues with some „ratteling“ sound in the PS. I have tested and it doesn’t seem to be RFI. It might have something to do with the variation in draw from the SSB modulation? No issues with other modes.

9. KC2KOJ

KC2KOJ Ham Member QRZ Page

check this out disable over volt protection and set output voltage

10. KC2KOJ

if you add some capacitors to the output that will go away

11. KC2KOJ

12. KC2KOJ

try 10000uF 16V Radial Capacitors

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  13. KC2KOJ

14. K5SEU

Thanks! Lots of good tips here.

I will give this a try. I found out that if I adjust the voltage down to 13.4V the effect of SSB as described above is greatly reduced, although still present.

15. AE6XO

AE6XO Ham Member QRZ Page

I just bought one of these HP supplies and tried it out. There is RF interference visible on my Flex-6300 spectrum display on 80, 40, 20, 15, and 10 meters. There are a few RF spikes visible on each band when the power supply is under load operating a VHF radio that is on transmit. Has anyone else noticed this? Would a metal enclosure help here?