117 AC or 240

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KG7HKK, Jan 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KG7HKK

KG7HKK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi guy's and Lady's.
    I have a Yaesu FL-2100F Amp, the amp is wired for 117AC and everything works great. BUT!, my radio is on a power supply and when I transmit you can hear the power supply whine down like its straining. I don't know if I'm pulling to much from the AC line voltage. I'm wondering should I wire a 240 line to the shack for the amp. I'm using a Icom-745 with the amp. which pulls 13Amps, the power supply is a 30 Amp.
    Gary
    KG7HKK

2. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

all amps work better on a dedicated 240v circuit. period.

3. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Measure it. If the supply voltage is low enough to cause it to make noises, it's low enough to measure easily. Put your meter probes in an outlet.

Yes.

4. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

that's what my elmer told me.

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The IC-745 should actually draw about 20A on voice peaks or key-down at full power; however that's at 13.8Vdc, not 120Vac. Your power supply is probably drawing about 2-1/2 to 3A at 120Vac.

The FL-2100F isn't that powerful and should draw about 10A at 120Vac. So, the two combined are likely about 13A max.

However most residential (household) circuits are 15A and 14 AWG wire. If you have "anything else" on that same line (computer, lamps, etc) you're probably pushing the circuit to about its limit.

A dedicated power line for the amp will definitely help.

6. KG7HKK

KG7HKK Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that 240 is the way to go, I have a Hot tub service just across from my shack and we never use the tub anymore, so I think it has a new purpose now. The 117AC to my shack is a dedicated line and it's a 30Amp line, that should handle anything I put out there. Thanks guy's.
    Gary KG7HKK

7. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I'd feel much more comfortable having two 20A circuits than a single 30A circuit at 125VAC.

What kind of receptacles did you use?

8. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

First thing I did when I moved here six months ago was put in a 240V dedicated circuit for my amplifiers. And no problems.

9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd wonder that also, since the standard NEMA outlets and plugs used for most residential circuits can't handle 30A; that's a very different set of connectors and most people wouldn't have anything that can plug into them.

10. VK4TI

VK4TI Ham Member QRZ Page

In this part of the world everything is 240Vac or higher , my shack has two 240Vac 20 amp lines and the usual 10 amp 240Vac line , power is never an issue with a good stout 240Vac line

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.