ad: Flexradio-1

11/9/11 First ever test of EAS

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AC2AQ, Oct 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. AC2AQ

AC2AQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I hear some talk about the first ever test of the National Emergency Alert System to take place on 11/9/11. The Govt and Homeland Security will take complete control of all communications for an unknown period of testing.

However, I have yet to see anything that would lead me to believe Amateur Radio will be shut down..
    Are we included in this test?? Do we stand down for the day??
    Anyone have any information?????

2. KC5FM

KC5FM Ham Member QRZ Page

Because I sit on the Integrated Public Alert and Warning System (IPAWS) committee, I have heard about this.

Because amateur radio is operating in compliance with Part 97, it does not impact your station operation directly.

Indirectly, your operation may be distracted because your Emergency Alert System providers will, probably for the first time ever that you may notice, all go off at the same time. In other words, television, radio, weather radio will all start squawking.

Amateur radio stations are not included in the test. You are not required to do anything, except be aware of the test.

Since this is an unusual test, your government does not want you alarmed unnecessarily and has been pretty aggressive about getting the word out.

I hope you will listen for the test. Talk about it on the radio. Let folks know it's a test and not be alarmed. If you don't hear the test, that either means your favorite radio or TV station does not participate in the EAS test or there was a failure somewhere along the chain from the message initiation to the broadcast tower.

You can read all about it on the Federal Communications Commission web site.

Thanks for your interest in public warning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.