ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB3SKU

KB3SKU Ham Member QRZ Page

ok thank you :)

I just received my 10m and 6m Shark mini HF antennas from universal radio today i also got a mag mount too so i can put it on the radiator. I know they may not be idea but at least i can try :)

2. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Rather than relying on 'charts' which are known to be in error from time to time, and somewhat misleading all of the time, you might want to start looking at the actual regulations.

Here's a link:
    http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/news/part97/

You'll find what you're looking for starting at part 97.301. You will probably need to go to other sections of the document to find definitions of the things it mentions, which is a bit unfortunate - it makes it harder to decipher. Part 97.305 designates the actual emissions allowed in each band. Part 97.3 will tell you what the 'emission designators' for the various type of 'phone' and other modes are. If that doesn't clear it up, you need to go to Part 2 of Title 47 (not part 97) http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2007/octqtr/47cfr2.201.htm

Part 2 contains the definitions of all the modes by designator.

Now that I've thoroughly confused everybody, you can go back to using the online charts like everybody else.

Your Tech license has very powerful privileges.

3. K3DAV

K3DAV Ham Member QRZ Page

James to put it plain and simple. Technician, general, and extra class licenses are all equal and all have full priviliges on 6M, 2M, 220, 440 and above. All ham frequencies above 50 MHz and all modes, (AM, FM, USB, LSB, CW, RTTY, digital)....etc... up to 1,500 watts. The sky is the limit sonny. Have a ball.

The only part of HF you have is in 10 meters. For voice, you can use 28.300 through 28.500 MHz in SSB ONLY with a maximum power of 200 watts. No AM, FM or high power. You get that part, and the rest of 10M when you upgrade to general.

One small note. LSB is legal but typically not used on any band above 14.000 MHz.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  4. KB3SKU

KB3SKU Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry for the late reply.

Thank you all for the help.

5. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Another thing for you to consider, James is that it's pretty easy to build antennas for 6 and 10 meters, because the antennas are not huge.

You need 4 pieces of wire about 8 feet long to make a good ground plane for 10. You could also build a regular dipole and hang it vertically if you want to. That would be about 16 feet long on 10.

6. KJ4IDH

KJ4IDH Ham Member QRZ Page

A little more info

As a Tech you have HF "CW only" on 80m 3525 -3600, 40m 7025 - 7125, 15m 21025-21200.
    Also more than voice on the lower portion of 10m, give digital a shot, my 12 year old son has been having a blast for the past few days on 10m PSK.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  7. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Ham Member QRZ Page

HHmm haven't thought about PSK on 10m.... what freqs are popular for PSK?

...DOUG

8. KJ4IDH

KJ4IDH Ham Member QRZ Page

28.120 for psk
    28.080, 28.082 and 28.084 for RTTY
    Most action is PSK31 on 28.120

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.