10GHz - Old School

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by G0VKT, Aug 14, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. G0VKT

G0VKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Found a couple of things in my junk collection that you might like to see.

In the attached picture are a couple of 10GHz Doppler modules made by Solfan. The one on the left is a gun unit with the inline 7142017112422.jpg mixer. The one on the right is the Gunn unit only.

With the addition of some simple circuits you got a working WBFM TX/RX.

I have no idea if they have any use in the modern world, but they make some interesting ornaments.

Paul.

KA9JLM likes this.
  2. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, they are a dirt cheap way to explore microwaves!

I have a couple similar units, they run approximately 10milli-watts (.01watts)

I use a pair of 2 foot diameter more or less spherical, surplus light reflectors as antennas.

And FM modulation, about +/- 75 khz.

Full duplex of course.

My best DX is 40 miles, with s-meter pinned.

I believe they would work any terrestrial optical path on the planet.

You probably want to build at least 2 xcivers, I have not had any luck with random cq's

:)

Rege

KD2ACO likes this.
  3. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I made a "QRO" version starting off with a transmit only module. I ran it into splitter for separate receive and transmit circuits. The receiver had a two stage GaAsFET preamp and a mixer, and the transmitter put out around 200 mW with an MGF1801 final amp. With a pair of 20 dBi horns it really got out well. :)

Zack W1VT

4. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Everyone has gone to narrow band here, I thought about them for a beginner 10ghz station that was affordable. I have yet to find an affordable transverter kit that doesn't require an microwave RF test bench...

5. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone remember the "polaplexer" and "ROCLOC"?

The generation of 20-30 mW of crystal-controlled RF on 10 GHz took about 200 lbs (90 kg) of equipment that had to be hauled up via stairs
    to some point with a view...

"Those were the days..."

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM