101ZD

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KD2JBL, Jul 11, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
  1. KD2JBL

KD2JBL Ham Member QRZ Page

Does anybody know how to make the VFO hard to turn? My 101ZD if I move the mic cord across it it will change frequencies it is so easy. Is there any kind of binding mechanism like my 857 and 891 Have????

2. KD2JBL

KD2JBL Ham Member QRZ Page

is there any kind of binding mechanism on a 101zd ? Seems mine changes very easy and would like it to bind a bit like my 857 or 891. Thanks in advance

3. WB7OKU

WB7OKU Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a 101Z and am a bit confused by what you mean by "binding"?? Could you explain what you want to do?

4. WB7OKU

WB7OKU Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, this is what you mean by binding. No, there is no way to lock or stiffen up the tuning knob. The simplest solution is to not drag the cord across the knob. Assuming that it is not vehicle mounted, why not invest in a desk mike?

5. K6BSU

K6BSU Ham Member QRZ Page

Almost any knob can be outfitted with more friction. Just remove the knob and note where the shaft goes through the panel or interacts with its bearing surface. Depending on room available, some sort of friction device can be fabricated which will not be visible when the knob is replaced. You can't be afraid to drill a hole, or epoxy some sort of addition without worrying about resale value.

6. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

The bearing assemblies in these VFOs (and similar Yaesus of the period) have a stationary race and a cap race, which screws onto a threaded bushing atop the stationary race. It's possible to increase the bearing preload by turning the cap race clockwise 1/8 turn at a time then checking the drag.

You'll have to remove the VFO from the radio to get at the parts in question. The cap is serrated and can be turned with a set of toothed needlenose pliers.

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

^I like this suggestion best.

Although I no longer have a 101ZD, I did own one from about 1983 to 1989 and liked it. I don't recall the dial drive being particularly "loose," but that might vary with age and use.

In some rigs I've just used a piece of "felt" about 1/16" or 1/8" thick mounted between the front panel and the tuning knob, to lightly interfere with turning the knob, and cut it to be "round" in shape so the knob covered it and it couldn't be seen; attached to the panel with double-sided adhesive tape.

$1 solution that seemed to work fine.