ad: AbAuRe-1

100th anniversary of the success of the transatlantic tests

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N2RJ, Dec 11, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W9AC

W9AC Subscriber QRZ Page

>"IMO getting that breadboard working working at all was a major accomplishment and a positive reflection of the team that babied it!"

Especially at the risk of destroying the RCA UV-204 tubes. The 204 was born in 1920-1921, and must have become available shortly before the Dec. 1921 tests -- and possibly the reason for the failure of the prior test during the spring of 1921 that Ria discussed. To develop ample power, perhaps the crew needed to wait for the availability of working 204s to complete a successful transatlantic test. I have collected several of the smaller UV-203 and UV-202 tubes in the Radiotron series but have not found a working spherical-envelope UV-204. They are extremely rare.

I collect early 1920s gear, QSLs and other material from a period that must have been very exciting during the early development of amateur radio. Approximately 15 years ago, I asked the ARRL to try and find the original transcript of the 1921 Proceedings of the 1st National ARRL Convention. I offered to pay for all expenses relating to the conversion into a PDF document. It was only after reading the October 1921 issue of QST that I learned of the transcript. According to the League's curator at the time, it was lost for decades but was finally found in a filing cabinet. The document was successfully converted into a PDF format. It's 573 typed pages from a paid Chicago stenographer who chronicled verbatim, all the words discussed at the meetings and technical forums. It's important to the subject at hand because some technical discussions focused on the upcoming transatlantic tests. It was at this convention that Leon Deloy, f8AB attended. Deloy, Schnell and Reinartz later achieved status as the first persons to complete a transatlantic QSO in 1923.

For those interested, the League may have an on-line copy available. If not, perhaps they can upload it to the ARRL's file section.

Paul, W9AC

W4ABC and W0PV like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Paul,

Did the 204-A tubes go into production for broadcast in 1922? My impression--could easily be wrong.

Chip W1YW

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's a zoom of the night's festivities. Watch lots of great people making things happen in real-time, on both sides of the Atlantic (the actual re-enactment transmission begins at about 13:50 on the video). Thanks to Cory W3JL for the video!

Enjoy!

Radio Club of America Transatlantic Test Re-enactment - YouTube

Chip W1YW
    Trustee W2RCA

W4ABC likes this.
  4. W9AC

W9AC Subscriber QRZ Page

Chip,

The 204 was replaced by the 204A in 1926 and had the more modern-looking stepped-side glass envelope.

YouTube videos of the 204A in action:

ON THE AIR: UV-204 TPTG 250-watt output power oscillator-transmitter from 1928 ARRL - YouTube

PREVIEW: UV-204 TPTG 250-watt stable VFO power oscillator-transmitter from 1928 ARRL - YouTube

Paul, W9AC

W1YW likes this.
  5. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Great effort on the old transmitter. I did notice that the original 1BCG team kept their transmissions very short, probably due to some of the same issues. Sorry to hear about the condenser heating problems, were you using period electrolytics, slop jars?

Anyway, you have to give Armstrong and the entire team a lot of credit for what they were able to do with the stuff they had back then.

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Please note that the re-enactment was done solely at W2RCA from Connecticut

Here's is the recording of the Re-enactment transmission, transmitted from W2RCA, successfully received by the good folks at KLARC (from their web site) at Ardrossan, Scotland, 100 years later... here is G3BJ's recording of same...

Click below:

Re-enactment message from W2RCA to Paul Godley received by Don G3BJ, England - 12 December 2021. - YouTube

If you received the transmission, you may download a certificate:) See:

Transatlantic Test Centennial - Radio Club of America

Chip W1YW
    trustee W2RCA

7. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

8. N1BCG

There has been a lot of interest in seeing the video highlights of the Transatlantic Tests 100th Anniversary event at the Vintage Radio & Communications Museum on December 11, 2021 but the original live stream ran a whopping five hours and forty minutes.

Unfortunately, setting specific start times on videos doesn't work on QRZ so I posted all the hand-picked, gristle-free, lean cuts of my favorite moments on a separate page:

http://www.internetwork.com/radio/n1bcg/VideoHighlights.htm

Enjoy!

9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Clark,

As per the video,,,, (for example: Transatlantic Tests Part 2 - YouTube)

Please post the times of transmission that W2AN was on and running. There has been considerable confusion given that W2AN changed frequencies and did not stay on the published schedule. The Murphy events are unfortunate but they do constrain the actual periods in which W2AN was on the air.

Making the actual transmit times public is essential so that no claims will be made on reception of W2AN when, in fact, it was not on the air. It is important that W2AN be able to validate actual reception of the W2AN transmissions. I have been forwarded several from Bob that are not W2AN and not even W2RCA. I have not received any reports that could be construed as a W2AN trasmission, based on the frequency and the time.

W2RCA transmitted re-enactment V's starting at 02:46UTC 12 Dec 2021, and commenced the message reenactment at 02:51 UTC. The message was completed at 02:58 UTC.

All W2RCA transmissions were on 1825 KHz.

In addition, next week, I will list the times and callsigns of two way contacts (no re-enactment message; QSO's) from W2RCA during the Transatlantic weekend.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Dec 18, 2021
  10. N1BCG

This was a bit harder than might be expected. For example, the intended frequency was 1821kc just as 1825 was the intended frequency for W2RCA. The difference is that W2RCA had arguably one of today's best transmission systems available to ensure successful communication to Ardrossan. In the case of the 1BCG replica transmitter operating as W2AN/1BCG, we went the other route and utilized a transmission system that embraced century-old Master Oscillator/Power Amplifier technology.

In 1921, the U.S. based stations were received by Paul Godley 2ZE anywhere from 230-200 meters (1300-1500kc), a 200kc range. It became apparent to us that the replica transmitter was a wild beast to tame and was quite persnickety when it came to demanding operation by today's frequency specific standards. A fraction of a micro-turn of a tuning adjustment resulted in wild variations of frequency. The goal was 1821kc as had been promoted, but burned chokes, red plates, and exploding fuses (see videos) caused us to have to be more flexible in our expectations. Additionally, a bit of time was spent both on and off the "every 15 minutes" intended schedule for getting the transmitter functional after various failures which included sending identification, of course, and the planned message.

That said, I anticipate reports of reception anywhere from 1803-1821 with some known time around 1806 and 1809kc. As you can imagine, every effort was made to stay above 1800kc and below 1825kc. Reception reports within that range should be given consideration.

11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Clark,

This is not a W2RCA question. Its a documentation question.

I am very disappointed at this lack of response on an obvious and reasonable question, as transparency is key in celebrating and or re-enacting an historical, OTA event.

There is nothing difficult about actually listing W2AN times of transmissions. For many decades. keeping such a list--a 'log'-- was essential to Part 97 station operation, for example. It is standard, if not necessarily legally required, to have a log of transmissions, one way and/or two way.

By analogy, Godley's 1921 RX log is an example of the importance of such documentation.

W2AN had an initial one-way transmission schedule that equipment issues severely curtailed. That, in itself, is totally undertandable and even expected under the circumstances. In fact, only a fraction of the scheduled time actually amounted to 'replica' transmissions.

Simply stated: what were those times?

W2AN was off the air during much of the time from around 0100 to at least 0300, for example.

It seems to me it behooves W2AN to let people know exactly the times and content (partial or complete) that were actually transmitted, to honor this historical event. Not the planned schedule, but the actual executed one (which was a small fraction of the planned schedule).

One hundred years from now, I can guarantee there will be those who will wonder when the replica transmitter was actually up; what was sent; when it was sent.

Someone can spend 10 minutes and list the times that W2AN was transmitting. That will not only honor a (FUTURE) historical record, but also self-correct at the RX end for those who may have thought they heard W2AN but actually heard someone else.

Please be forthcoming and honor those who took the time to listen. And future hams who
    may look back at this as history too.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Dec 19, 2021
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Clark,

You need to ask folks if they have a recording of the lower part of the spectrum of 160m during your efforts. It is absolutely extrordinary that you do not know what frequency you were on AT A GIVEN TIME. How do you know you stayed in-band, for example? No one blames W2AN for changing frequency with such a fickle LC circuit. But you actually didn't monitor your own transmission?

There were many dozens of stations on the lower end of 160M last saturday night. If you don't know what time you transmitted and what frequency you were on at a given time, how can you validate --short of a clear recording-- reception of W2AN? 1800-1825 KHz is a huge amount for CW spectrum

Surely someone kept a log of the times you guys were actually up and running, and what frequency you were on. W3LPL may be of help on that, as the DX 'skimmers' checked the CW spectrum.

Chip W1YW

13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I received several emails....here is my response.

W2AN did a terrific job with the replica transmitter and transmission. Many dedicated folks worked many hours to make that happen, out of a sense of fun and historical interest. The TX, then as now, was capricious, and allowed SOME transmissions to come through.

Did you hear W2AN/1BCG? If so, please let W2AN know with a reception report. The more detailed you can be on time and frequency (and what you copied), the easier it will be for those folks to map out the success of the replica transmisions:) I am sure W2AN will be able to check the relevant times to aid in verification.

Chip W1YW

14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

REVERSE BEACON REPORTING for Transatlantic Re-enactment

Below are the results of the Reverse Beacon Network reporting of W2RCA during the re-enactment transmission period, just before we started the 'V's...

THE RBN acts as a 'double blind' confirmation of propagation in selected areas where RBN receivers are operative. This confirms, among other facts, the reception of W2RCA, into mainland Europe.

KM3T [​IMG] W2RCA 1825.0 CW CQ 37 dB 12 wpm K3LR [​IMG] W2RCA 1825.0 CW CQ 21 dB 12 wpm K9IMM [​IMG] W2RCA 1825.0 CW CQ 13 dB 12 wpm KM3T-2 [​IMG] W2RCA 1825.0 CW CQ 35 dB 13 wpm W1NT-6 [​IMG] W2RCA 1825.0 CW CQ 37 dB 13 wpm W2NAF [​IMG] W2RCA 1825.0 CW CQ 17 dB 26 wpm W4KAZ [​IMG] W2RCA 1825.1 CW CQ 20 dB 26 wpm IT9GSF [​IMG] W2RCA 1825.0 CW CQ 20 dB 26 wpm EA5WU [​IMG] W2RCA 1825.0 CW CQ 14 dB 26 wpm K9TM-4 [​IMG] W2RCA 1825.1 CW CQ 7 dB 25 wpm WS3W [​IMG] W2RCA 1825.0 CW CQ 28 dB 25 wpm WW1L [​IMG] W2RCA 1825.0 CW CQ 8 dB 25 wpm KM3T-2 [​IMG] W2RCA 1825.0 CW CQ 33 dB 26 wpm W3OA [​IMG] W2RCA 1825.1 CW CQ 12 dB 26 wpm K9IMM [​IMG] W2RCA 1825.0 CW CQ 25 dB 26 wpm 0245z 12 Dec

W2AN/1bcg is not reported by the RBN during the Transatlantic tests last weekend. This may be due to the 'chirp' of the transmission, which may have prevented electronic copy of the the RBN stations as a 'CW' mode.

W1AW is listed.

Chip W1YW