ad: QSKLLC-1

100 Years Old, 83 Years an Amateur Radio Operator, W7WG Birthday Party

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Oct 2, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member Number 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Had a wonderful birthday party on Sunday, at the Radio Club of Tacoma, W7DK. We were celebrating the 100th birthday of Worth Gurley, W7WG, first licensed in April of 1935 (just one year after the very first ARRL Field Day!).

Worth has been active for all 83 years, never a lapse as an active ham. His primary mode is still CW and he still checks in most Sundays to our club's 10-Meter Net on 28.375 He also regularly attends club meetings and functions, including our own club Centennial back in October 2016.

The Quarter Century Wireless Club (QCWA) graciously sent us certificates to commemorate his 50th, 65th, and 80th year as an amateur radio operator.

Thanks to all the RCT members who showed up - the turnout was so big that we couldn't all fit in the main room - but we have speakers through the whole clubhouse, so everyone could hear. Probably 50-60 in total, although I wasn't able to do an accurate head count (too busy, and forgot to delegate that job :p )

All the best to you, Worth, a good friend and one of the longest-held amateur licenses ever I'm sure. He doesn't check in here - but I just wanted to share cuz it's just cool stuff :)

Happy Birthday, OM!

Dave
    W7UUU
    Prez, Radio Club of Tacoma

[I will be uploading interview videos later, with Worth telling stories about the "old days" in amateur radio]

N3AWS, N1BCG, N2EY and 13 others like this.
  2. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Mazel Tov!

W7UUU likes this.
  3. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

That is awesome Dave. Please pass our congratulations along to him.

He's been hamming as long as my dad has been alive, a fact that just blows my mind.

KA4DPO and W7UUU like this.
  4. W7UDI

W7UDI Ham Member QRZ Page

Awesome, way to go Worth.

5. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great!

And what a cake, too!

6. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow. He was alive, albeit a toddler, when amateur station 1BCG sent the first ever message across the Atlantic using short waves. That's...that's remarkable. I'll bet he has and can tell captivating stories!

7. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats to the true "OM!" And thanks for sharing with us.

8. W4ZD

W4ZD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Outstanding! And very cool. :)

9. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Bet that man can copy CW in his sleep. Hope he had a happy birthday. Making it to a hundred is amazing, making it to a hundred and still being on the air is priceless.

WZ7U likes this.