ad: w5yi

100 watts from your cigarette lighter?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6F, Jul 29, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. N6SPP

N6SPP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There is a reason that the original fuse is rated at 10 amps.. I'd be concerned with the awg of the wire behind your cig lighter getting fairly hot (depending on the current draw of your ic-706).. Flame On...Safety First.. 73 n6spp

KM4WRQ and MW1CFN like this.
  2. N6SPP

N6SPP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"Loud n Proud"... no comment... Except, congrats on the successful groundwave Q from LAX to LAX.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  3. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

The Schematic shows 6 25F caps in "Series" to increase their voltage capacity for a total of 25 / 6 = ~4.16F as the manual points out. 2.7v 25F caps are easy to find. 2.7V x 6 = 16.2 rating, wonder what the V rating of the caps are inside the MJF, any look inside?

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

In the old days there was a cigar lighter outlet made of metal and it could withstand a lot of heat.

The newer Power Points are made of plastic and can melt if there is a loose connection, That happens from vibration while driving.

Tapping into a wire that has a properly rated fuse would be best, Then deal with alternator whine as needed.

Most operators just live with the wine and eat crackers, But a cap and coil can normally get rid of the whine.

5. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I corrected myself in post #21 - as you repeat, it's 6x 25F caps in series for a bank 4 farads plus change.

I don't have a MFJ-4403 but based on pics and other reports I would say they are 2.7vdc caps too. Also realized this MFJ product is not new at all. A more in depth test report on the MFJ-4403 was published in Dec 2014 QST by @AD5X using a IC-706 as a test load.

That article goes further into its application as an improvement on the compromise of using automotive accessory jacks for temporarily powering rigs up to 100w on SSB or nominal Morse code CW with appropriate derating. His measurements substantiate the claims and underline the limitations. Some good tips to beware of on UL2089 Vehicle Battery Adapters (automotive accessory plugs) too.

6. K2HAT

K2HAT QRZ Volunteer Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

My 2018 Kia Sedona all the power outlets are fused at 20 amp from the factory. The USB power port at 15 amps!

No alternator whine in this vehicle thankfully.

https://fuse-box.info/kia/kia-sedona-2015-2018-fuses-and-relay

KA9JLM and W1YW like this.
  7. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

I have Hyundai Elantra GT I use for places my Tundra TRD wont fit well. One outlet is fused 20a the other 15a and is shared with the outlet in the rear hatchback where I went inside the opening and spliced in to feed power to my FTM-400.

My Tundra has a 15a fused outlet in the console,this is were I tap power off for both the FTM-400 and my FT-891 in the truck. However I use an Li-Iron battery for the FT-891 for full power and use the truck to charge the battery when it is running only. I have an Epic power gate that also charges it from my solar panels I can deploy on the Tundra's Bed Cover.

Ironic my 2018 USA built Toyota Tundra, I considered that buying a truck built by Americans.

W0PV, KA9JLM, K2HAT and 1 other person like this.
  8. KG4BFR

KG4BFR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We run a Tripp - Lite Line Conditioner with our Ameritron AL-80B

9. VE7DXW

VE7DXW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

the wire is not rated for 20 A you are going to set the car on fire!

KM4WRQ, WA8FOZ and MW1CFN like this.
  10. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you ever check the state of the supply wires after running your rig for years off that nominally 10A circuit? Might be interesting...

WA8FOZ likes this.