ad: M2Ant-1

100 Watts and a Wire: Episode 83

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K0STH, Jan 31, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. NI9Y

NI9Y XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Born 76 years ago
    Off the air from August 16, 1940 to May 1955
    On the air May 1955 KN9EUV
    General K9EUv 1956
    USN Radioman 1958 operated during night watch when nobody was looking
    First Class Commercial 1961
    Radio/TV announcer/news editor/anchor on the big rigs
    Ni9Y 1986
    Still counting on the air years..heading for my 63rd year

K0STH likes this.
  2. KE8BYU

KE8BYU Ham Member QRZ Page

K0STH likes this.
  3. AD0JA

AD0JA Ham Member QRZ Page

So far I've only been off-air for a couple days at the most. However I've not been licensed for as long as some of you guys have.

K0STH likes this.
  4. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Licensed continuously since 1958. Off for a couple of years early in my career

K0STH likes this.
  5. KB2QQM

KB2QQM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We are glad you are back. Illness is not fun. It's fun to be connected to friends Worldwide. I have been off for about 3 years, and a friend sent me a radio to use for D-Star. Glad you are back. 73 Greg KB2QQM

K0STH likes this.
  6. K4QE

K4QE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Four years. It was hell.

W1YW and K0STH like this.
  7. SP2MSJ

SP2MSJ Ham Member QRZ Page

1ms;)

K0STH likes this.
  8. N5WD

N5WD Ham Member QRZ Page

Due to being posted in countries where amateur radio was not permitted at all (Turkey '72-'74) and where reciprocal licensing was not in effect (Philippines pre 1977) a couple of years at a time off the air for me. Though I was able to operate the base MARS station from the PI, it was soooo tempting to just slide the VFO up or down a bit into the ham bands and do a little bit of pirating, but.....

Since then, there have been times when I haven't been active on HF, but have always had the VHF/UHF talkies around.

73 Wayne N5WD

K0STH likes this.
  9. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was licensed in 1968 as a novice and let it lapse after 1969. Re licensed 1978, so I'll call that 9 years.

Then went inactive when my kids grew 1991 to about 2013 with very very little activity in between.

So, grand total is about 31 years of inactivity. Now, I'm keeping a pace but am active on JT65, relearning code (getting my speed up to
    something usable OTA) and (mostly listening to) Satellites.

K0STH likes this.
  10. WD9GCO

WD9GCO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Active from 1977 through 1980, went to college, graduated, lived in an apartment, then got married and moved into a condo. Couldn't get anything stealth to work, lost interest but kept the ticket current. Started listening to HamNation when it first went up, and that got the itch going again. Meanwhile, I'd kept my TS-520s. Mid-2013, I decided to risk it and put up a Hustler vertical in my courtyard, fired up the 520s, and set out to see if I still enjoyed the hobby. I did, and here I am today. Late 2014 I decided that I deserved a new toy, so I added a TS-590s to the family.

K0STH likes this.
  11. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

1980-84, unemployed with no radio. But I used the time wisely, upgrading to Extra and getting a commercial ticket.

K0STH likes this.
  12. KE5OA

KE5OA Ham Member QRZ Page

Have not touched a radio since 2010.

13. N4KZ

N4KZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have been licensed 48 years this month. My longest time off the air? Three weeks while moving from one house to another. And yes, I have a wife, kids and a job that required lots of hours. But ham radio was my relaxation. Usually on the weekends.

K0STH likes this.
  14. KW4AK

KW4AK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

9 years

K0STH likes this.
  15. KA1DON

KA1DON Ham Member QRZ Page

20+ years. I never cared to get into one of the cliques that saturate the hobby.

K0STH likes this.