$100 bill

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by K5TSK, Oct 18, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

WB5YUZ likes this.
  2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

NK8I likes this.
  3. K5TSK

K5TSK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My hat is off to KB4QAA. Thank you, sir. While this thread was created with my tongue firmly planted in my left cheek, I had heard this mentioned several times over my sporadic ham career. Some of those mentioning it were service radio vets or otherwise knowledgeable hams. Nevertheless, it often occurred to me this was spoof advise and wasn't really sure.
    A $100 dollar bill might qualify as high quality paper without much use by human contact. Similarly, a fresh uncirculated $20 dollar bill. A few days ago, I hit the ATM for a little pocket change and received a bunch of bills that evidently came straight off the press. This reminded me of the old advice I had heard. Hate those new bills, but if used with caution, ever six months or so, one of those bills would serve to deoxidize my Bencher contacts.
    I did have a $100 bill once and carried it for some time, but think I bought a key with it, so this prompted the need for info.
    73 all.
    Jim

KA9JLM likes this.
  4. K5TSK

K5TSK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I suppose I could keep this going by asking if good Scotch would serve for the alcohol, but I won't.

5. KA9JLM

Everclear works good. No residue.

6. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Also works well for getting water out of your ears, cleaning circuit boards, and drinking, if you can stand it.

7. KA9JLM

It works good in a Bunsen burner too.

8. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Currency probably has lots of oils from hands on it I would not use it. I just use a new 3x5 index card, it has the right abrasive effect with out damaging the plating or metal on the contacts. Strong enough to take a bit of pressure in wiping the contacts.

9. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

1000 or 2000 grit sandpaper if it's really grungy. Auto parts stores have it for body work. Also good for final sharpening of woodworking tools :D.

10. KA9JLM

Then you need the 100 dollar bill to buy a new one.