ad: w3ff

$100 bill

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by K5TSK, Oct 18, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. K5TSK

K5TSK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Ok, don't laugh or do, you may need one,
    but is there any substantial difference between contact cleaning using a brand new $20 bill as opposed to a hundred dollar bill?
    New bill, old bill, etc.
    Jim K5TSK

2. KQ4MM

KQ4MM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I had to laugh, but then I though what will our friends over in England use, they have those plastic pound notes now, can't imagine they work well for cleaning contacts on keys ... They are probably glad they don't have to use euro notes at least ...

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

The older 100 dollar bills work the best.

The newer paper used for the 20 may work fine in a pinch.

K9ASE likes this.
  4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If you can find an old $1000 bill (I don't believe they've been printed in a long time), that works best.

I refurbish those!

If you have a real, Treasury-issued $1000 bill, I'll clean it up, try it out cleaning contacts and stuff, and return it to you in 30 years. I should be dead by then, so I can stand by this.:)

5. K6GB

K6GB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I worked for a guy that kept 10,000 in $1000's and $500's, said it was his getaway fund. He got away, but he didn't have a code key.

6. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you really have to use a $1000 bill, I have found that a 1928 or earlier silver certificate works best.

K9ASE likes this.
  7. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

To remove oxidation, ordinary non-glossy paper has worked fine for me since the early 1970s.

W7UUU likes this.
  8. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Never heard this silliness of using $100 bills to clean contacts. How many hams needing to clean contacts have a hundred dollar bill in their pocket? And willing to risk it with cleaning spray, just to fix a little static?

I call "Apocryphal" on this one. Were it Myth Busters, I'd call it "busted"

Dave
    W7UUU

busted.jpg

N7ANN, WB5YUZ, WA7WJR and 2 others like this.
  9. WB2WIK

I don't have any of those.

Send me one so I can inspect it.

WA7PRC likes this.
  10. WB2WIK

Me, too.

I usually use "copy paper" (like 20 lb or 24 lb) and squirt a little bit of WD40 on it.

Been working for decades.

WB5YUZ, W7UUU and WA7PRC like this.