ad: Halibut-1

10 mtrs open

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KQ4FM, Oct 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KQ4FM

KQ4FM Ham Member QRZ Page

10 mtrs has been open to the east since early this morning. 20 watts will work any European country you can hear. Best conditions since the 50's

Have fun all!

Frank
    W4GZV
    Near Dallas tX

2. AD4ZU

AD4ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

Frank, it's been absolutely amazing - in my long history as a ham (2 whole years) I've never seen anything like this, though more experienced hams have told me tales about prior peaks. Last night worked New Zealand from Connecticut on FM - never expected that to happen :) 73 Chris Kb1RXA CT

3. KD4QMY

KD4QMY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes! 10m and 12m too have been fantastic for working DX for the past few weeks. Logged several Japan stations on 10m in addition to European stations. 12m has been great too and again logged Japan stations and the Europeans on 12m with 200w and a 12m dipole. 10m QSOs were logged with a Mosley TA33Jr.
    73 and good DX to all de KD4QMY.

4. KD4QMY

KD4QMY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

10m and 12m good DX bands finally!

Yes! 10m and 12m too have been fantastic for working DX for the past few weeks. Logged several Japan stations on 10m in addition to European stations. 12m has been great too and again logged Japan stations and the Europeans on 12m with 200w and a 12m dipole. 10m QSOs were logged with a Mosley TA33Jr.
    73 and good DX to all de KD4QMY.

5. W7AYN

W7AYN Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember the late 50's also and my first voice contacts with Europe and Africa from Oregon. Now I am
    retired and use CW mostly on 10 & 12 and am working lots of DX with a wire antenna and 100 Watts. DX
    is great the past couple of weeks!

Bob
    W7AYN
    Mesa, AZ

6. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

don't leave out 15 it's been consistantly great for DX well into the evening hours into europe and the pacific

7. W8ZNX

W8ZNX Ham Member QRZ Page

ahoy

sounds like the good old days

1715 gmt
    have been listening to VY0SNO beacon
    15 watts to a dipole on 28.182

solid 579 for the last 20 min
    am using a dud receive antenna

yours truly
    mac dit dit

8. W8HBF

W8HBF Ham Member QRZ Page

10 meters

I've been working them with 5 watts.

Ron
    KD8AFH

9. VE4CY

VE4CY Ham Member QRZ Page

Last week I worked Japan on 29.600 FM.. There was a Chinese station there too, but the JA was drowning him out. I've got to dig out my 10 milliwatt 28.060 Mhz CW transmitter.. Back in the 80's I worked both coasts using the TX powered by four AAA batteries.. Maybe I'll get to Europe this time :)

10. WK5X

WK5X Guest

Yes, conditions are good, but we aren't experiencing 1989-like conditions yet. I've yet to anything from directly over the poles on 10 Meters yet. I have heard 9M6XRO blasting in each the last few evenings. This path is tangent to the 70th parallel from Virginia.

11. G4LHT

G4LHT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

On the other side of the coin in the UK we are receiving 60db signals from the 10m Repeaters in New York, I worked Mexico via it the other day, I even know a few Hams that are racing home from work and hoping the 10m Skip holds out, changed times ! no need for the Amp, lower Bills, WIN WIN.

Regards Damian

12. N1GKE

N1GKE Ham Member QRZ Page

I lived in the Boston, MA. area until about 15 years ago.
    My very first DX many many years ago was on ten meteres with five watts and a dipole to the UK. I will always remember that exciting first DX.
    I have been working all bands and all modes since moving to Rhode Island and getting back on HF and have not seen conditions so nice in all too
    man years. This is just great. Working mostly CW, but I never forget where I got my start. I go to the upper portion of the band to work some
    SSB and some FM simplex too. So many stations from around the globe. Amazing. Take advantage while you are able. It takes only a little power
    and not much of a skyhook this time around folks..... Very 71 and I owe ya' two.... de Myrton - N1GKE - CWops # 929 in Rhode Island

13. W2KS

W2KS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been working Japan and Asiatic Russia easy form NY; CW and SSB

14. K5LXY

K5LXY Ham Member QRZ Page

Is there anyway to gauge how long this will last? Wonder if it's time to buy the Hexbeam (?)

15. W6UDO

W6UDO Ham Member QRZ Page

I can relate, Damian. Over here I can't wait to get home from work and run right out to the shack. With ~90 watts to a stealth random wire I've worked all over the Pacific Rim and into Russia, including a few new ones to pad my DXCC total....CW on 10, 12, & 15. But now that I've read this thread, I'll have to reduce power and see what I can do. Makes me wish I'd built that QRP xcvr kit I bought a few years ago, so I could try it out.
    On the other hand, it seems that everyone who wanted to work T32C has done so....those poor guys are sounding like the Maytag repairman....calling CQ with no takers.
    Very 73 and good (DX) hunting....Joe...San Diego, CA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.