ad: TinyPaddle-1

10 MHz Amateur Radio balloon to cross the Atlantic

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. N7NWP

N7NWP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No wonder I am losing interest in amateur radio, and have been for some time. I fade out for a while, then come back to see if the spirit of ham radio is there and see that it has lost its adventurous luster.

I recall days on 10M where there was always an elmer that would take 10 minutes to answer my CQ call, with a young child's voice, engague in a meaningful conversation, and encourage my electronics and communications adventure. For a short time I served in the USCG in the electronice technician field and did really well. Thanks for the support.

I have absoultly nothing against contests, but is seems that a contest is needed to get people out on 10M, without the reward there seems to be little or no spirit of ham radio.

I wonder if this type of experiment may lead to an emergency form of long distance communication by baloon, tell us more about prpagation conditions and changes in our atmosphere, and there are more posibilities to be found.
    I wish the experimenters well in their adventure.

2. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

COP,

Sunspot cycle bottom now. A year or so and it'll explode.

3. DL8MBS

DL8MBS Ham Member QRZ Page

And those guys not only do something very interesting but also seem to know about all the obstacles (quoted from the Icarus X status page): "Software remaining: ... location based transmitter inhibit."

Definitely something to listen to.
    All the best from the target side of the pond & 73,
    Chris

4. K0CMH

K0CMH Ham Member QRZ Page

I may be wrong, but I believe coordination with various countires version of the FAA, plus one or more international groups regarding air space, are consulted when a group plans a long distance ballon flight.

There are many things involved in setting up a ballon flight. I am sure these fellows had quite a workout of paperwork on their hands getting all the eyes dotted and tees crossed.

Good luck guys. I hope to hear it when it goes up.

5. NE5B

NE5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is Awesome.

Would be cool to launch one from the West Coast and let it take the Jetstream.   Maybe a future project.....  

I hope it makes it across the pond and the payload is recovered and returned for future flights!

73 Ben-ne5B

6. KB1IAI

KB1IAI Ham Member QRZ Page

its thirty meters people, not ten meters

7. N7NWP

N7NWP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the encouragement. When I was in Alaska, the south east, I was able to hit the OR, WA AZ and souther CA and that was a treat on 10 M !

I am looking forward to the next few years.

8. N4ZED

N4ZED XML Subscriber QRZ Page

N8QWS... Your right !!!! I like what they are doing !!! GOOD LUCK GUY'S !!!! I'll be listening !!

9. NE5B

NE5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

10. W9JR

W9JR Ham Member QRZ Page

I live in Richland Center, WI and during the 50th Anniversary of Sputnik, our high school had a balloon launch. Amateur radio operators were involved. The payload was expected to come down on the eas coast of Wisconsin --- but, it entered the jet stream and was carried across Lake Michigan! I was just recently found by some hunters in the woods of western Michigan. The payload has been returned to its owners. So, if this can happen to us --- why not get carried across the Atlantic --- or from the west coast to the east coast? It was an awesome experiment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.