ad: RichCrouch-1

10 meters...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WB2WIK, Dec 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Jumped on 10m CW this morning and worked a handful but a ton of QSB out here right now. Hearing contest calls at easy armchair copy and then signal falls into the mud and takes several rounds to get the exchange then a few minutes later they're lighting up the panadapter screen.

N3AWS likes this.
  2. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

What is your antenna and power level?

N3AWS likes this.
  3. K6TOP

K6TOP Ham Member QRZ Page

My setup is 2 element yagi up 40' and 400 watts.

10M this morning (Saturday) is all locals again, nothing outside of N. CA. I did hear a weak LU station at 1800Z, but he didn't copy me. Hopefully things will pick up later today.

N3AWS and NL7W like this.
  4. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

I've done amazing well during multiple ARRL 10M Contests, but always with Hy-Gain tri-bander or a 5-ele yagi and 1000-Watts or 1500-Watts.

I'm glad to hear you're doing well. Good luck!

N3AWS likes this.
  5. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

12 meters was wide open to about 600 miles to the SW, then I worked VE7UHS on FT8, for a total of four contacts. He said to go to 10 meters but I only worked two more contacts on the 600 mile path to the SW on 10.
    The VE7 peaked at -7 on my triband dipole. I'm building another 12/15M antenna but was interrupted by the band opening!

Zak W1VT

N3AWS likes this.
  6. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

Decent E-skip opening to New England and to Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, and Louisiana.

7. K5ABB

K5ABB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I dunno... wide open is now defined as 600mi to the SW? That's a pretty low bar.

To me wide open is "I worked Monaco, Madagascar, Mongolia and Micronesia all within 15 minutes", and 40M CW during the CQWWDX a couple of weeks ago was bringing that and more. Wide open on the high bands ain't been seen in quite a while... I can work South America on 10 till I'm sick of 'em, but EU, JA, OC, AF...??? Fuhgettaboutit

8. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

I tried to get out today but ...

[​IMG]

K5ABB likes this.
  9. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

By wide open I was referring to the quality of the 600mile pah--the three stations I worked were +2 to + 5 during the opening. It doesn't get much louder than that with my simple wire antennas on 12M.

It is also possible to work stations above the MUF with enough power if you don't mind signals 20 dB weaker than +2 to +5.

10. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Crickets on 10 so far today. If I had endlessly called CQ since 6:30 am (when I first heard a local calling) I MIGHT have worked 4 or 5 new locals who wandered by the band.
    I can look at the spectrum scope and tell who is calling CQ by their signal strengths since there are so few on the band!
    Even a static crash is exciting to hear!!