10 Meter's, is it worth buying a radio?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KB1JFQ, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K4KWH

K4KWH Guest

"Shops" sell moonshine, meth, 'funny' cigarettes and a whole host of things not permitted. They are ILLEGAL to be marketed in the US. However it is NOT illegal for a ham to BUY one.

J

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2010
  2. K4KWH

K4KWH Guest

You, sir, ARE WRONG! FCC has fined HUNDREDS of shops and internet dealers for SELLING these radios modified or not. Go back and find the $90,000 fine levied against Pilot Truck Stops for selling "10 Meter" radios.

J

3. AD5KO

AD5KO Ham Member QRZ Page

If cb operators knew anything about power levels they wouldn't spend the money on 10 meter radios.

If 500w = S8, then..
    125w = S7
    31.25 w = S6
    7.8w = S5
    1.95w = S4

A good quality 4 watt CB such as a Uniden PC78LTW should do whatever is needed on the highway and as a base station with a good antenna system. If I needed a CB again that is was I would use, Uniden radios used to have good audio and they lasted for years.

I am a radio enthusiast not a radio snob.

[​IMG]

Andrew

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

It's quite simple: The FCC OET SAID so.

OK, that requires a bit of explanation. The OET analyzed the radios. Those that are designed to be CB units must meet certain standards (AND restrictions) to be certified as CB radios, or else thay can't be sold or imported on a commercial basis. In order to be certified as a CB radio, the unit must NOT be easily converted to transmit on other than the authorized, exact 40 CB channels authorized to that service in the U.S. If such a radio CAN be easily (such as clipping a diode or two, or installing a jumper wire somewhere) it will NOT be certified, and thus illegal for import or sale on a retail basis. On the other hand, the OET also looks at "so-called" 10 Meter radios specifically, and if they can be easily modified to operate on the CB frequencies (whether exact CB channels, or through a VFO) the OET will declare such radios as "CB" radios, and because they can easily be modified to transmit outside the exact 40 CB channels, certification will also be denied to such radios.

5. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

Earlier 10M was great, past month or so I haven't heard anything but all I do is quick listen and then back to 40M.....based on what I hear it would be a lonely place right now.

6. AD5KO

Hmm..

Well lets look at an example, the Maxon MCB-30 cb radio. FCC id F3JMCB30.. uses a reference xtal of 10.240mhz. Simply by changing the xtal the radio can be made to operate on 10 meters. No different that many cb radios many of which are converted for use as 10 meter beacons.

In view of this it seems your explanation is lacking.

The OET analyzed the radios, really..

Andrew

7. KD8GFC

KD8GFC Ham Member QRZ Page

You better listen a little longer 10 Meter has just in the past week or so started to lose activity but before that I have made hundreds of contacs. I think the E-season is coming to a close it was fun while it lasted. :D

8. K4KWH

K4KWH Guest

Yeah, get ready for some "fun" on 10 Meters all right! Get ready to have to compete with dem thar tan-fer, mercy me chicken banders whut's got this h'yar big, bad reddio wid all dem thar extree channels an' ah gots them thar 'rah'ts to tawk on 'em, too!" "I bought this h'yar reddiddio an' I mean to tawk on hit, too!:mad: Ah'll jist flip on this h'yar DaveMade leenyar and tawk over dem hammies (thar)!!!!!!!!!!!" :(

J

9. AD5KO

When I was a boy many years ago (it seems), CB was useful and the people were most often polite. Channel 19 AM is pretty decent even today, or it was the last time I heard it.

What I really don't like is Mexicans talking over the beacons on 10 but I have also heard cb'ers here doing the same thing.

I will never understand why it is legal to buy or own a ham radio without having a ham radio license.

Andrew

10. KD8GFC

KD8GFC Ham Member QRZ Page

This is why, The big three of radios make a fortune selling ham rigs to cb'ers just listen around the band half or more of them are all using ham rigs. It's all about the money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.