10 Meter's, is it worth buying a radio?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KB1JFQ, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

I may have misunderstood your other post. My Bad

No personal malicious post. I made a comment, your post appears to be an answer to W0JBC's deleted comment. You should have been more specific because if somebody reads what you quoted, yet doesn't check the link, that person would think you wrote it. That is why you should always include in your quote the authors name. Like this:

See, nobody is confused.

As to your personal attack angle........ I have a great dislike for Illegal Radio Operators regardless of Service. I am not a cop but I do have the right to express my opinion. I express it as often as I can.
    I have no ill feeling toward you whatsoever. None. I was not attacking you. I explained the misunderstanding , hopefully you'll except that, and accept this as an apology.

2. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

MOT:

For casual operation the all band/all mode transceivers do work. However, for serious VHF/UHF/SHF operation they are VERY marginal. Single band transceivers DEFINITELY work better and, of course, those require some sort of i.f.

If you look at every transceiver on the market today you will see that most of the stages operate on frequencies that are NOT within any amateur radio band. It is only the output frequency that is within an amateur radio band. Therefore, it is PERFECTLY legal to use a modified unit as the i.f. This, in turn, gives wider band coverage. The only restriction is that the r.f. energy has to be restricted from being transmitted through an antenna when that energy is outside of an amateur radio band.

For example, the "expanded range" Uniden HR-2510 that I use as the i.f. for my 432 MHz station allows me to cover 430.0 MHz to 433.6999 MHz. Since the entire band, for United States stations, is 420.0 MHz to 450.0 MHz using the 26.0 MHz to 29.6999 MHz input/output to/from the HR-2510 allows me more coverage of the band.

When I use one of my HR-2510 units as the i.f. for my 2-meter transverter I can get coverage from 144.0 MHz to 147.6999 MHz continuous.

I do use 50.0 MHz to 53.0 MHz as the i.f. for my 222 MHz transverter which gives me the entire 222.0 MHz to 225.0 MHz range. However, I just happened to have a crystal for the transverter that allowed me to use my low powered FT-690RII 6-meter unit for the i.f.

Optimum performance is MUCH easier (and cheaper as well) to obtain for VHF/UHF/SHF single band operation with individual transverters for each band than can be obtained with the "all band" transceivers. From your comments it is pretty obvious that you are not a real serious operator where VHF/UHF/SHF operation is concerned. Remember, "weak signal" operation on the higher frequency bands is normally concentrated within an under 500 kHz segment and by using separate transceivers for each band it is possible to maximize performance within that narrow frequency range whereas it is usually a practical impossibility to maximize performance over the entire band allowed by the FCC.

Glen, K9STH

3. AE1PT

AE1PT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yuck...

Having long lived out its usefulness, this thread is devolving into a pointless bickering match between two members. Say goodbye...:cool:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.