10 meters, driver RXTX to amp, how long an RF cable?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by 2E0ILY, Nov 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. 2E0ILY

2E0ILY Guest

What's the practical distance for my TS-590 10 meter driver RXTX and a tubed linear amp, RF cable length wise? I would like the linear out of the shack because of the noise of the blower, and space reasons. Would initially be operating on 10 meters. Thanks.

2. PA1ZP

PA1ZP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi

I would,t do this.
    You need the possibility to observe and watch the meters on the amp.
    Like grid and Andode current and or SWR.

If you have a defect in your antenna or cables or amp. that can occur very sudden you would destroy the tube or the amp.

And it could be to late before your TS590S shows a problem with SWR.

I do not see any problem for even 10 mtrs of cable certainly if your amp has tuned input.

I do have a TS590 and AL572B that will not even work on 10 mtrs, the Anode choke will not alowe use on 10 mtrs.
    So watch out for Ameritron amps on 10 mtrs certainly the ones with 3 or 4 tubes.

When I had my 5 elemens monoband yagi even had enough with 20 watts hihi

73 Jos

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  3. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Probably not a good idea to remote a tube amp, unless it is an auto-tune and glitch protected.

Think about it for a second: How could you monitor the amp's various parameters? How could you tune it at all with out it being co-located to the "driver"?

Ergonomically, it makes no sense at all OM.

I use an amp here in the shack, have been for years and no one has ever commented about fan noise. It's all about controlling microphone and compression levels.

73 Gary

4. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

The number of people who get that wrong (especially, for some reason, on 75m) is staggering. I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the number of stations I've heard that are S9+20db, yet their background noise is S9+5 all by itself.

5. 2E0ILY

2E0ILY Guest

The amp has a remote control panel, with full metering, and being a triode, has adequate protection of the HV supply and blower failure, good point of course, but one that's covered. Also has out of range SWR shut down. Thanks. This thing has serious fan noise and is really much better in another room. Say I AND the wife ;)

6. PA1ZP

PA1ZP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi 2E0ILY

But I just wanted to be shure you had safety covered.

I wouldn'd see any problem in using up to 10 mtrs of RG58.
    If it has tuned input , it will not give any problem, there is no need for tuned length of coaxial cables at all.
    I wouldn't run the TX ground line near to the coaxial cables as i wouldn't run the remote cable near the coaxial cable, it would even be a good idea to use ferrite chokes on both cables from remote control and TX-ground.

I know I have a rather silent amp but the blower still is anoying me when i listen to SSB or CW.
    But when the blower of the TS590 comes in at full pull, my amp is even silent , because the blower of the TS590S at high revs makes a lot of noise.

One of the reasons i use may amplifier as little as possible is the blower noise, even though it is not loud at all it starts to disturb you in recieving weak signals.

I could use headphones but I realy hate these sweaty things, i cannot stand these things on my ears for more then 10 minutes and I tried quite a few different ones.

Good luck and keep it safe.

Jos

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I've built amps where the blower was remote but the amp remained on the operating bench. 3" dryer hose (flexible dryer vent hose), a flange mount attached to the amp where the blower would normally go, and then a blower in a closet or the next room (or outside!) connected to it works fine and "moves the noise" without actually moving the amp.

8. 2E0ILY

2E0ILY Guest

The amp (a Henry RF generator converted to a linear RF amp) has a tuned input, so that side of things should be OK then. I envisage a length of co-ax about 20 feet long maximum, to go from the output of the 590 to the input of the Henry, so hopefully there should be no issues. I'll report back if there are any. Many thanks!

9. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh, OK... It makes much more sense when you put in those little details!

73 OM... Gary

10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The only issue remaining is if the metering is in one room and the amp in another, how do you re-tune when you change frequencies (even within a single band)?

Drag the meter panel over to the amp, tune up, then drag the meter panel back to the operating desk? Seems really inconvenient to me...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.