10 Meters, CQ CQ, is anyone on?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KG5MLS, Mar 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What, is there a contest? :) That always opens the band!

WU8Y likes this.
  2. KG5MLS

KG5MLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, my 10 Meter radio came in Saturday, at a local ham swap meet going on this weekend, I was looking for antennas or at least parts to make a dipole. Could not find the parts for a dipole, but snagged an old firestick CB antenna, along with an antenna bracket, and an SWR meter. Unfortunately in my exuberant hast, I forgot to get a line and cable connectors to go from the radio to the SWR meter. Until I have that and can really tune this antenna, I am scared to go cutting on it. I have played around on it listening, hoping to hear something like a beacon or any chatter but all was quiet. I even tried calling our CQ a few times but still quiet.

I am thinking its the antenna, and until I get that resolved I will just be listening to static. I am thrilled to get the radio, its in great shape and seems to function as it should.
    Kevin
    KG5MLS

3. KA6IBM

KA6IBM Ham Member QRZ Page

Saturday and Sunday when I checked in, it lots of noise, QRN, and I didnt hear any beacons at all

4. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm checking 28400 & 425 now and then. Even dusted off the mic and called a couple of days ago.

5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Nah, I disagree (humorously, honestly, humbly, and honorably ) with Dave, 10 Meters is "More opener" than even he realizes. Of course, some "openings" may be sporadic "E," so may be more sporadic, and briefly more local than he realizes. But 10 Meters is NOT to be abandoned.

6. KJ4RZZ

KJ4RZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, we could pick a time and all start calling CQ beacons or not. I would certainly wake up the locals lol.

I've yet to land a CW contact on 10m. I've tried many many times. I'd settle for FL at this point.

7. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

You've tried during 10m CW contests???? I have never had less than a zillion 10m contacts during a 10m CW contest.

Curious what is your antenna?

Dave
    W7UUU

8. KG5MLS

I will be checking frequently over the next few weeks, get my antenna tuned or build a dipole. Hopefully soon I will hear something. Part of the excitement is just the hunt, catching that elusive signal from across the thousands of miles. If it were easy I think that would get boring after awhile.

N1VAU and KC9VFO like this.
  9. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

This weekend coming up is the CQ WW WPX phone contest. I'm sure you'll hear someone on 10 m this weekend.

10. KG5MLS

Oh I will so be listening this weekend!!! Thank you for the information!
    KG5MLS