ad: elecraft

10 Meters, CQ CQ, is anyone on?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KG5MLS, Mar 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KF4SCI

KF4SCI Ham Member QRZ Page

What he said!

2. KF4SCI

KF4SCI Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't forget to upgrade before you try it. Then when you do, hit me up so we can practice code. I need all the practice I can get!

3. VK4XJB

VK4XJB Ham Member QRZ Page

When looking for signals out of the states on 10m I also check 27.385 lsb. Even if the propagation has not quite made it 28MHz yet hearing people making contacts on that frequency is still promising. The wspr maps can also be useful to see what has been happening from the last 10 minutes out to the last 24 hours. if I can hear cbers from the states and 28.400 is quiet it can still be worth trying a digital mode.

For activity isn't your sporadic E season approaching? Still plenty of dead time but would hope for some good domestic contacts.

4. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

10m is a great band. Lots of digital flying around in New England. Verts, wires, what ever you got - they all work.

The local club here has a weekend net on 10m positioned so techs can participate on SSB phone. Good stuff.

N3AB likes this.
  5. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

To; Tech Ops
    Check the FCC rules, there are segments of the HF bands you Tech's can use IF YOU CAN LEARN MORSE.
    As for 10M, I worked 5 continents with a $ 59 closeout HTX-10 on SSB at 25 W. But I had a Hy-Gain 3 element monobander that I bought new for $99 . in 1975.
    This week I tuned the Beacon segment of 10M, several times over a day, and heard NOTHING ! Went to 11M and heard a few truckers driving on the local freeway, they were down in the mud !
    10M is only open now and then, and it's easier if you have a tower and Yagi, I just have a 30 ft mast.

6. W5TTW

W5TTW Ham Member QRZ Page

Never woulda guessed it by the title of your thread.

7. KL5A

KL5A Ham Member QRZ Page

i just tuned around the band and it's flat as a pancake. YMMV.

8. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you hear skip on 11, 10 is usually not far behind. Another way to boost your spirits is by looking at some of the spotting networks. I use PSKReporter a lot. https://pskreporter.info/pskmap.html If you set the map display for '10 meters' and 'anyone' for whatever time period you choose, it will show you a map with stations who are reporting that they are listening for digital contacts on 10 meters (mostly JT65 and PSK). Reception reports are indicated by lines between the stations. Another one is WSPR http://wsprnet.org/drupal/wsprnet/map This displays reception reports of stations sending WSPR low power beacons. I see today that there were 10 meter WSPR signals received in Europe from some U.S. hams in Florida, as well as beacons from the west coast of the USA and Caribbean. As a Tech, you could do JT65, PSK, and WSPR, and with low power and the typical newbie antenna, you might have good results. I get answers on 10 meter JT65 when there are no beacons to be heard.

We are at one of the worst times of the year for Eskip on 10 (and 6 for that matter). Eskip peaks in early summer, and again in mid-winter, and is usually pretty absent near the equinoxes. Spring Equinox is next week. But when May rolls around, 10 will start opening 'sporadically' - it's unpredictable. It won't be every day, but it will happen with fair regularity. There is no proven connection to thunderstorm activity, but Eskip does often seem to occur over paths where major thunderstorms occurred in the hours prior. Single hop Eskip - which is what you will work with the HTX-100 will get you easy contacts with much of the country from Austin (the band always seems to open to Texas first from here, anyway). Multihop Eskip makes contacts with Europe and Asia possible, but generally requires high power, great antennas, and incredible patience. If E is sporadic, multihop E is 'sporadic squared'.

On rare occasions these days, 10 will pop open for F-layer propagation to almost anywhere. Another frequent mode is 'trans-equatorial skip', which happens when the ionization is too weal for F layer, but the magnetic lines of force in the Earth create paths from North to South over the equator. I've often worked stations in South America and Africa on a 'dead' band this way (and with a really modest antenna, too).

W0MSN likes this.
  9. KJ4RZZ

KJ4RZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Beacons were chugging along around 6pm here in Florida... I called CQ for awhile on 28.400 but nobody listening I guess.

10. K2HAT

K2HAT QRZ Volunteer Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Once in a while some locals will get on 10m ssb in the evening. Meh.

We can talk for a further distance, and hear each other better on 2m FM Simplex. Try that sometime, if 10m is dead. :)

KD0TLS and N6QIC like this.