ad: NI4L-2

10 Meters, CQ CQ, is anyone on?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KG5MLS, Mar 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KG5MLS

KG5MLS Ham Member QRZ Page

This post made my day and SOOOO TRUE! I work in Austin, and I leave as quickly as I can when I am done for the day. Everyone, this has been some great advice, and yes being limited between 28.3-28.5 is just more incentive for me to go for my general this year. I certainly will try to call out CQ CQ CQ on occasion even when its quiet. To me half the fun is listening and then trying to make contacts. Whether its DX or just CONUS it will be a thrill to do something more than 2 Meters and using repeaters! Hopefully my radio will be here soon!

Thanks
    Kevin KG5MLS

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No, that would be worse. There isn't any NVIS on 10m. The highest usable frequency for NVIS is usually below 10 MHz (30m) and often drops below 5 MHz (60m), so it's "most" usable on 40-60-80-160m and often not even on 40m.

However, 30 miles on 10 meters is "very easy" if you both use horizontally polarized beams and aim at each other. I work stations 60-70-80 miles away on 10m all the time doing exactly that. But if one station is vertical and the other is horizontal, usually a no-go. If both use simple dipoles with no gain, also usually a no-go.

3. KD8ZMN

KD8ZMN Ham Member QRZ Page

I belong to 2 local clubs who hold 10 meter SSB nets on Thursday nights. After sunset its strictly local ground wave, but in the summer months sunset can be as late as 9 PM in these parts (I'd love to work gray line if the opportunity ever arises).

8:00 pm EDT ON 28.435 WA8Q Woodchucks, 9:00 pm EDT 28.460 W8PRC Parma Radio Club (these are +/- 5 KHz ). If you ever hear us, try to check in. Both nets are in the Technician part of the band so all licensed operators are welcome to check in.

I once heard a station from Brazil on 10 meters during the day. He was s-0 but I could copy him. So the band does have some life if you know when and where to look.

4. KB9UWU

KB9UWU Ham Member QRZ Page

it's H.A.M., OM.

5. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

the rodney didn't fall for anything- he really wants to know! 10 has been really good to me over the years, especially when i can get the darn door pried open.
    more bullshooting fun, too.

6. KJ4RZZ

KJ4RZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks ok didn't know that thanks. We were both using inverted V's about 30' up, although mine is pointed east /west and he is south east of me.

7. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Also listen for the 12 hrs or so before a big contest. Sometimes you catch distant big guns tuning up.

8. WB2WIK

Unless you have a mountain between you that breaks up the path pretty badly, at 30 miles if you both had beams you'd hear each other fine.

9. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

No, it's not.

N1VAU, AE7LP and WA7PRC like this.
  10. WB2WIK

It's sure not. The previous comment may have been a joke.

"Ham" isn't an acronym nor an abbreviation. There are several stories about how "ham" came to be used, but to me the one that makes the most sense is the story of professional telegraphers referring to amateurs as "ham-fisted operators" (meaning "fat fist," and making mistakes), which is likely true since they were amateurs and not professionals.

That story goes back more than 100 years and could be true. But nobody really seems to know for sure.

N1VAU, WG7X and NL7W like this.