10 Meters, CQ CQ, is anyone on?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KG5MLS, Mar 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Kevin,

When working stations relatively close, antenna polarization matters A LOT on the higher HF bands. The difference is often 20 dB. MOST local work on 10m is vertically polarized. A ground plane vertical is good, mounted at least λ/2 above ground. I use a Cushcraft AR10 (they've been around since dirt was new).

You also have privileges on 80, 40, and 15m. With the downturn in sunspot activity adversely affecting the higher HF bands, you'll find a lot of activity on 80 & 40m. Don't know Morse? Maybe now is the time to learn, and join-in on the fun. :)

Bryan WA7PRC

2. KA6IBM

KA6IBM Ham Member QRZ Page

I just recently 'dropped back'' into Ham radio and I have an RS 10 meter mobile laying around. Went to HRO and bought a super cool 10 meter bazooka. As W7 said above, I ''occasionally'' hear a beacon or two but most of the time there ain't nothing going on. I even ask one of my pals to please go on 10 meters but he's lame and only does idle chit-chat 2 meters

Just bought an ICOM 718 AND CAN'T WAIT for this weekend..40 meter CW here I come

3. KJ4RZZ

KJ4RZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

10M can be fun because it's always changing. It will be dead in the morning, and then in the afternoon may seem dead, until you call CQ... you'll call for awhile, but usually will eventually get an answer, although it may be a few miles away hah. Then later in the late afternoon or early evening you start hearing beacons and the band is open for an hour or so. Sometimes it's open all day and the beacons are pounding away. Sometimes you can just look up at the sky and say "OHHH 10M is going to be open today!".

But when the band is open, you WILL get DX. You will be absolutely amazed at what you can do with the HTX100 and a dipole. I have an inverted V for 10M in a tree... make it yourself of course, 16 feet of wire and some coax. If the tree is not wide enough for a dipole make it an inverted V.

The language of the QSO will be different from 2m and 70cm, I recommend listening on websdr to some guys doing a contest or doing dx to learn the language...(it can be different from operator to operator) and then when 10M opens up start calling CQ.

KG5SER likes this.
  4. WH6LU

WH6LU Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave hit the nail on the head,

W7UUU likes this.
  5. WH6LU

WH6LU Ham Member QRZ Page

10 meters is all about tactics, dave hit the nail on the head when he mentioned BEACONS.
    28.200-28.300 is loaded with them.
    I suggest learning what frequencies various groups like 10-10 international use!
    I've worked 300 countries and all the states.
    In Hawaii li431170272026381sten
    Hawaii at 28.490
    Call CQ
    de wh6lu

6. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

Your title of the thread somehow got me recalling the way the young "Jody Foster" called CQ in Contact. LOL I know that was 20M but it just sounded the same.

7. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's the trick to get a 10 meter beam cheap or free. If you were on the CB, draw out a map of CB beams in your area. On a Sunday afternoon, knock on each door. If you are LUCKY enough to get the lady of the house, explain that you are a new ham & are willing to remove that eyesore from their roof. If you get the man of the house, ask if he still uses it & if not, offer a case of beer for it. He might even have some other junk that will eventually be usefil.
    This also goes for any CB vertical, as a 5/8 wave 11 meter can be used for other bands with tweaking. Also, they are aluminum. Beams are made from aluminum.
    Even a mere vertical can "Work". I agree that a Firestick will not do much, as it needs a groundplane & a Jpole is rather tall (Built one myself & cut it down for a 6 meter repeater antenna for the USS Salem museum ship).
    Now, if you happen to see a funny antenna that has 3 vertical elements about 17' tall & spread in a triangle, that is a "Superscanner". Even if they do not have the control box, it can be fabbed & there are plans to change the coax harness & antenna length for 10 meter.
    Check at the local dump every Sunday for scrap aluminum that might be useful. (Sometimes, a 6 pack to the person that runs the facility gots a long way.
    Finally, Radio Shack is going bankrupt again. I am not sure if they still sell a base antenna, but if so, you may get it cheap soon.
    I am not kidding. Be a proper cheap scrounging ham & with some cheap power tools, or a hacksay/drill, you can have fun building antennas for everything.
    I will also encourage you to upgrade, as the solar cycle is falling for the upper bands.
    Another hint for checking for activity is to monitor Ch,6 on CB. That is where the Powerhouses around the country & world are. If you hear distant talk, it's probably a slim chance, but if they are booming in, go for it (Remember, many there are running WAY in excess of "Our" legal limit.

Ed

8. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

this. 11m always seems to be open and 10m is always open during contests... like others, i believe 10m is open more often then people believe

K4YND likes this.
  9. W5TTP

W5TTP Ham Member QRZ Page

Welcome to "amateur radio". Great hobby. I see on google that you reside behind Settlers Park. Nice location. I think that most, if not all, of you questions could be answered by one of the local guys in your area. Being very familiar with that locale, they should be easy to contact and many of them have been eager to help out. Have you been involved with a local group, or maybe even the Austin Amateur Radio Club? There is another group out of Georgetown, which might be closer to you. The band activities are pretty well spelled out in other responses to your post. My thoughts (worth not a whole lot) are that installing a hf antenna outside might be an issue for you. Check your cc&r and HOA. These issues are not insurmountabke, but are where the locals can be a huge asset. They probably have dealt with similar restrictive covenants in your area with successful stealthy antennas. No need foy you to struggle and reinvent a solution. Good luck. If I still lived in that area, I would be glad to mentor.

Chuck w5ttp

10. KJ4RZZ

KJ4RZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

One thing about 10M is it's a long skip, so since you are in TX and I am in FL we will probably be able to make contact easily in the afternoon. However my buddy 30 miles away, not happening, I can get South America before I get him. Although I've been wondering if I could get him with an NVIS antenna.