10 Meters, CQ CQ, is anyone on?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KG5MLS, Mar 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K1FBI

K1FBI Ham Member QRZ Page

If everybody is just monitoring the calling frequency everybody will just hear the crickets.

Many times starting a conversation on the calling frequency will "wake-up" the band.

You could have asked if the frequency is in use as an added courtesy. However, no one owns a frequency. Especially a calling frequency for the purpose of "private" monitoring.

If you encounter that again, it's easier to just go up to 50.128 and anyone with a bandscope will find you. But don't be surprised when you get some DX if the same "gentlemen" try to jump 50.128

2. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

3. W0VRA

W0VRA Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm glad they don't work at the 911 call center.

4. K1FBI

K1FBI Ham Member QRZ Page

As a well known attorney once told me: "I don't waste time trying to memorize everything there is. I just know where to find it and that's what makes me so good".

5. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Exactly. I've long held that study skills are generally more useful than rote memorization.

WA8FOZ and WZ7U like this.
  6. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

My 10 M Story
    Is the band REALLY Dead ?
    Back about 25 years ago I had a TS520, Henry 2K amp and my 3 element HyGain 10M Yagi up 40 ft.
    I could spend a half-hour tuning the entire 10M band and hear nothing but white noise and a few birdies. :eek:
    Fired up the Big Amp and called a few CQs with 800 W PEP and almost always could get a reply ! Sometimes I had to turn the Yagi a few times .
    After finishing the QSO I would look around the band and hear a few other QSOs in progress !!!
    SOMBODY has to break the ICE and then the band seems to get going :D
    This was back before I knew about beacons.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    W7UUU likes this.
  7. NE3R

NE3R Ham Member QRZ Page

Lol - tell them they can work your contacts that respond to your CQs up 5 when you are done with them!

8. VA3DLO

VA3DLO Ham Member QRZ Page

I call out on 10 metrrs on 28.400 even though 10 meter is dead never know what you will get..my antenna is roughly 25 feet high on secont floor roof..

NE3R likes this.
  9. KD2PBK

KD2PBK Ham Member QRZ Page

hi KD2PBK john since 1/2018-4/2018.I made contacts from south flordia,now in northeastorn New Yoek nothing.Ijust ceep calling on 28.400 hoping for contact, good luck.

10. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

10m has been open quite a bit lately. I hear FT8, I hear multiple CW beacons, and I hear NOTHING on SSB or CW :(