ad: vanity

10 Meters, CQ CQ, is anyone on?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KG5MLS, Mar 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
  1. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

You are correct, you don't understand quads.

but, as far as circular antennas (not quads) the antennas should be different , CW and CCW while in QSO

2. HS0ZIB

HS0ZIB Ham Member QRZ Page

My XZ license limits me to operating on 15,12 and 10 metres.

When I tune around looking for signals on all these bands, it's usually very quiet. So now I don't initially tune around, but first check the reception of the IARU beacon signals. Then it gives me an idea if the band is open, and to which region.

As an example, I called CQ on 21.215 MHz. No takers... Then I checked the beacons on 21.150 MHz. Most were very weak or not received at all. But the South Africa beacon was being received very strongly, even when it sent a 1 watt transmission.

To maximise the opportunity for hams in those regions to make a QSO with me, I can either self-spot 'path open to ZS' etc, or post on the Facebook page for hams in that region/country.

3. K2LCK

K2LCK Ham Member QRZ Page

yes, thanks, and I should not have even thrown polarization into the discussion, it just muddyd the waters... the bit about nets indicates their degree of misunderstanding.., but whatever........73 elsie kay

4. K2LCK

K2LCK Ham Member QRZ Page

All the other BS on this thread not withstanding, the thread should have ended back with your post here...Ed

WZ7U likes this.
  5. W0VRA

W0VRA Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes! The counterexample I neglected to mention yesterday during the "if you can hear it, it can hear you" discussion is when your radio isn't TXing properly, as might be the case in homebrew QRP rigs and such. Maybe the PA isn't getting adequate power, or some oscillator isn't working like you expected, or there is no or severely distorted CW tone, or who knows. Of course there are other ways to check that like power meters, a friend listening across town, spectral analyzers, but the reverse beacon gives you some very useful feedback.

6. VA3DLO

VA3DLO Ham Member QRZ Page

Im a new ham ok..question is whats beter 50 feet rg8x or 20 feet lmr400 ? What exactually does lower loss cable like lmr400 do..on 10 meter radio thanks

7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

At 10-meters with the power you'll be running and the feedline lengths you'll likely be using, RG8X is fine (and cheap, too).

8. K1FBI

K1FBI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

82.772 watts to the antenna with 50 ft of RG8x.
    96.958 watts with 20 ft of LMR400.
    Both figures based on 1.3:1 SWR on 28.400

9. W0VRA

W0VRA Ham Member QRZ Page

Isn't there an online calculator for that sort of thing?

10. K1FBI

K1FBI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Instead of asking a rhetorical question like that, maybe you could have just provided a direct link for the Op.

N3AB likes this.