10 Meters, CQ CQ, is anyone on?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KG5MLS, Mar 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. K2LCK

K2LCK Ham Member QRZ Page

[
    yeh, but I ain't... have 66 countrys,49 states & over 400 grids on 6...trust me, 'tis true....... antennas work equally poorly {GBG} xmtg & rcvg, and a path is the same no matter which way one walks it....

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  2. K2LCK

well,polarization may chg some tho..

3. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And gain antennas may change that also. One only has to listen to contesters to realize that just because one station hears another the converse is not true. In order to have a QSO both sides have to hear the other.

Another place you see this is when folks interrupt a net. The person interrupting may not hear the net and require a relay to find out the freq is in use. Once relayed the interrupting station apologizes and vacates. No....the path does not always work both ways as one would hope.

ND6M likes this.
  4. KG5BJV

KG5BJV Ham Member QRZ Page

What contest details please?
    hh

5. K2LCK

not going to argue with you except to point out that the net thing is 3 way.two dfferent paths..think it thru if able......believe what you wish..

6. K2LCK

just to nail it down.......if the path is there, it will be two way, however the reflection off the cloud [or whatever] may change polarization and cause apparent loss of antenna gain..but that should apply in both diecctions,[well,maybe],,.that is why some use a quad, which is more or less circulsrly polorazed and will rcv hor or vert linear pol equally well [or poorly GBG] but not the other cir pol [rt or left] and dont ask me about cir pol.I never did understand rotating vectors.. a contact, quad to quad may not work at all if one is left and the other right,,,,dont ask BTSOM!.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  7. K2LCK

wd0bct.. where is littleton,rings a bell,a nd you sure have a wierd first name...geeee

8. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's my point Ed....the net sometimes requires a three way because the 2 way doesn't work. Just because you can hear net control doesn't necessarily mean he can hear you.
    Not always...but I've experienced one way propagation too many times to ignore.

Littleton is on the South Side of Denver. I'm actually a little further south in Highlands Ranch...but the Post Office is Littleton.

And yes isn't that a weird first name? I actually used my middle name all of my life...my dad's first name was Edmund. In fact I was originally licensed in upstate NY (north of Syracuse) under my middle name (Charles). Since Homeland Security the govt only recognizes first names. So when I renewed my FCC license in 2016 I had to use my first name.

It was the same thing with SS...I was E Charles my entire life but they changed me to Edmund C. They even claimed that they never issued SSN to middle names. I have my original SS card and correspondence which says otherwise!

Sorry to digress from the OP...now back to the original program.

9. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

I think you might not quite understand the whole reverse beacon thing. Let me try here...
    How it works is roughly this. You get onto the reverse beacon website and set up the band where you want it to listen. Then you get on your radio on the frequency that is clear to you and on CW send CQ 3 times, then your call 3 times right behind it and then watch the computer screen tell you where in the world in nearly real time where you were just heard. You don't listen for a reply over the air, it shows you on the computer where you are being heard.

Reverse beacon how to page - http://reversebeacon.blogspot.com/2013/12/a-new-tutorial-on-using-rbn.html

Reverse beacon website - http://www.reversebeacon.net/main.php

Check it out, it is amazing! Enjoy!

KD9HLC likes this.
  10. K2LCK

littleton.. yeh, I've been to Parker...& spent weeks in ft Collins.. about the other tthing.. well whatever,,,but there are plenty of beacons around...tho on a band like 6 everyone just calls and listens on .125 until it opens