ad: NADXA-1

10 Meters, CQ CQ, is anyone on?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KG5MLS, Mar 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W0VRA

W0VRA Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, I spent a couple of weeks on 2m after I got my ticket. Every day it was the same handful of people, two or three, really, that were ragchewing about how many deer they saw on the way home from work and such. Nothing wrong with that, and they did throw in their calls as they should have.

I made a personalized CQ/QSO script based on the ARRL's Ethical Operator guidelines.

2. W0VRA

As I eagerly await your reply. Thanks!

3. K2LCK

K2LCK Ham Member QRZ Page

having never been a fan of cw, I tend to for get that I do know it, but it is a needed skill for beacons. beacons are the best way to determine when a band like 10 or 6 is open......make a list of beacons [freq]. put it in memory, and auto scan the memorys... you will get the first indication that the band is opening....

4. W0VRA

And reverse beacons! Apparently you can program your radio to transmit a text string including your call sign by CW and see where it could be heard in nearly real time.

5. K2LCK

dont know/think that is legal tho.. no [reqd] control operator....

6. W0VRA

The rig doesn't TX until you tell it to. Here's where I learned about it (specific to a rig):

7. K2LCK

!! guess there is some benefit, somehow... but the beacons are there, if you can hear them, that area can hear you...not all new ideas are good, some are just new.... life is complicated enuff.. I suspect $$ somewhere, but whatever!

W0VRA likes this.
  8. W0VRA

I don't think this is necessarily true, but I'm kinda new at this.

9. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Would be nice if this was true....

10. K2LCK

yeh,it is.works equal,both ways.. actually most beacons are low power [if for no other reason then that they run 24/7] so that area will hear your [normal] 100 watts much better than you hear the beacon.. also most beacons attempt to have omni antennas which makes them even weaker in any single direction....