10 Meters, CQ CQ, is anyone on?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KG5MLS, Mar 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

The advice about waiting a year came from Bob Heil. His expertise is not dubious, it is a fact. He is also an Old timer. In fact he is an old timer who is courteous, respectful, considerate, patient and an all around nice guy. I believe you will find that the annoying operators on HF are the same one who make denigrating remarks on these forums when others are simply stating their opinion or are offering good advice. If your comment about annoying operators on HF is directed at me personally, I would sincerely like for you to offer proof (a log entry will do to start with) when I have ever been annoying, discourteous, inconsiderate, disrespectful, impatient or mean to you or anyone else on HF. We already have a good example of your being denigrating, accusatory and inflammatory in this forum. Kindly back up what you say with facts like date, time, frequency and not just meaningless drool and drivel. If you can offer one shred of proof, I will give you my sincere apology right here on this forum and I will send my license back to the FCC with a request that they cancel it. I eagerly await your evidence. Otherwise, please stop spreading lies. 73 and have a nice day! de John K4AGO

2. W0VRA

W0VRA Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree that Mr Heil has plenty of gravitas, really does seem like a good Joe, and I respectfully disagree with him about that getting experience on certain frequencies is important before using certain other frequencies.

I think Mr Heil's pine board radio is awesome.

Probably so. It was someone else who made that observation about discourteous old timers. I remember liking the post.

Good sir, you will be pleased to know that nothing in my comments had anything to do with you personally. In fact, no one, not even you, on HF has ever answered my CQs and I have had zero QSOs below 2m; perhaps I need more experience. More likely, I need to get a proper antenna up.

Hmmmm. Most of my posts are intended to be a bit tongue in cheek; maybe I need to use more emojis.

Can you point me to that example? I'd like to clarify if I left something ambiguous.

Again, nothing personally about you.

All the best!

3. W7ARX

W7ARX Guest

Worked E51JD that other day on 10...yet, it does have DX

4. K2LCK

K2LCK Ham Member QRZ Page

actually, with that joker the inventions came with a w/dream one night

5. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think the year Bob recommends is still good advice if the Technician will get off the repeaters--they are dead in most places these days, anyway--and work some HF CW and some phone on 10-meters and 6-meters (when possible).

6. W0VRA

I went back to that thread, and you were a big advocate of having a year of experience. Are you Bob Heil?

Here is the reply to your post about needing a year of experience before going to HF about old timers. As you can see, I didn't author it. I did, however, allude to it in this thread:

I would have liked to take this conversation private, but I can't seem to find a way to do that.

7. W4NNF

Bob is the well known K9EID... ;)

8. W0VRA

Well, I don't know code, but I should learn.

I really respectfully am wanting to understand what skills or other benefits might come from spending time on 10 or 6m before moving to say, 40m? Might an operator do something wrong on 10m? Of course! But I don't think any lasting harm would come of it, nor do I believe it would be any worse than making the same mistakes on 40m.

9. W0VRA

Haha, one day my brain will use those interchangeably!

Mr K4AGO is John Smith of Statesville, NC. And he certainly has the resume to claim some gravitas, too!

W4NNF likes this.
  10. W4NNF

One reason to learn the code? In these days of low solar activity, it will allow you to get on HF and actually work people all over the country and the world. Heck, you might even find you like it. Check with your local club--many still offer code classes. On 10/6 SSB you would learn phone procedure. Things go a little differently on SSB on HF than they do on 2-meter repeaters. ;)