10 meter radios

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by W7GTG, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. KC4RAN

KC4RAN Ham Member QRZ Page

I wasn't going to bring up the technical aspects, but you're exactly right.

No one yet has forwarded me a QST review of any RCI 10 meter radio. Or Galaxy. Or Magnum...

2. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll second (seventh?:D) the idea that the 10/11M rigs are kinda pricy for what you get.

I have a Uniden hr2510 (25 watts cw,am,fm [No repeater split or pl],usb,lsb)

Bought it broken, and received a wilson k1000 mag-mount, paid $75 FRN, and had to repair the rig- cut pcb trace where the wrong mounting screw was used, and a busted rf gain pot.

So I have right at $100 in the set-up.

I see them selling for more than twice that amount, IMHO this is NOT a $200+ rig. The only reason for the premium is it a set desired by bootleggers.

If you want a Great project, Convert a standard 40 ch ssb set from a yardsale to 10M, All you need to buy is a xtal - 'bout $30 delivered

The various legit Cobra/Uniden CB rigs are OK for what they are, And converted to 10M make a great, Inexpensive rig that you don't have to worry about ""growing legs and wandering off" like you would with a $1000 HF rig in the car.

And converting a set is a GREAT way to hone your electonics skills.

Best site for free service diagrams is "cb Tricks.com"

Rege

3. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed with the above. I have $200 total into an HR2510 and an HR2600 combo...they were acquired years ago. For not a lot more than that you could get a decent TS130S, Astro 150 or similar multiband, 100w solid-state rig.

4. K0CMH

K0CMH Ham Member QRZ Page

The vast majority of contacts on 10 meters is either SSB or CW. There is very limited FM local coverage on 10 meters, and as stated before, one must be at least a General to use the FM functions on 10 meters.

5. KB4SOG

KB4SOG Ham Member QRZ Page

I sold my HTX-10 at the Cave City hamfest a couple of weeks ago. Not a bad radio, just not what I was interested in (and 10m has been pretty dead). There were four of them there, mine was about the cleanest and it sold for $75. One just slightly less nice was offered for $50 before everyone headed home. Not a bad deal at all, if you want a single band radio.

6. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

7. KC9OSX

KC9OSX Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an older, unmodified galaxy saturn turbo (virtually the same as an RCI 2990), that is great on 10 meters. It's very stable, and I have gotten excellent reports with it. Some people don't even believe that's what I'm talking on, and not some higher end ham rig.

8. KC4RAN

KC4RAN Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, thanks for the links! Interesting reading...

2970 transmitter:
    "One rather poor performance characteristic that does merit attention is the transmitter IMD performance on 10 meters, as depicted by Figure 6. The second-order IMD products are down only 21 dB."

2950 transmitter:
    "On the transmit side, the RCI-2950's signal is positively terrible at the radio's rated output: It's third-order IMD products are down only 22 dB relative to its single-tone PEP output!"

They really tore up the 2950 in that review, in other sections. So back to the original topic, spending a few extra dollars on a real multiband HF radio will be money well spent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.