10 meter mobile fun

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by Guest, Nov 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (N8CPA @ Nov. 06 2003,04:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Every HTX-10 I've seen is defective.  It lacks a code key.

As Hubie Blake sang:

&quot;...If it can't take a key,
    It's just a CB di dah di dah dia dah&quot;

!![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    there is a simple circuit posted on the internet for adding CW capability to the HTX-10, but I dont' trust myself to send and copy code while driving, at least not yet.

2. N8CPA

N8CPA Ham Member QRZ Page

I lack the dexterity for that mod and there's nothing that can be done for the dexterity after 45 years. Although with $25.00 worth of radio and $600.00 worth of soldering station, it might be worth the effort. But I have better things to spend money on--like keeping my xyl happy by taking her on an occasoinal cruise.

[​IMG]

3. KE4PJW

KE4PJW Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kd5sdi @ Nov. 05 2003,05:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Terry, I agree about the hr-2600, as it comes from the factory it is a great radio. The chipswitch has provisions for locking out transmit on 11 meter.
    To be fair, I don't think that any of the guys that have posted in this current forum were involved. I got to say, however, it seems that folks are awfully quick to jump on a guy around here. Like anything else I guess it is who you are and who already don't like you. The pacetronics post had some guy who said that the sad part is some amateurs had probably bought from them. When I indicated that yeah he was probably right, since the hr-2600 was better than most any other radio, good god one would think I had advocated overthrow of the arrl or something. Anyway, the chipswitch is cool, a friend of mine just put one in his rig.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I don't think I will spend an extra $50 on the 2600 so I can listen to CB [​IMG] It works fine on 10 for a $40 radio. Does the &quot;Chipswitch&quot; give you any new features? If all it does is open up the VFO, I don't think the preselector in that rig is wide enough to do both 12 and 10, but I could be wrong.

If I wanted to talk on the CB, I would just buy one for $20. [​IMG]

4. KD5SDI

KD5SDI Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ke4pjw @ Nov. 06 2003,17:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">[​IMG]8--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kd5sdi @ Nov. 05 2003,05[​IMG]8)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Terry, I agree about the hr-2600, as it comes from the factory it is a great radio. The chipswitch has provisions for locking out transmit on 11 meter.
    To be fair, I don't think that any of the guys that have posted in this current forum were involved. I got to say, however, it seems that folks are awfully quick to jump on a guy around here. Like anything else I guess it is who you  are and who already don't like you. The pacetronics post had some guy who said that the sad part is some amateurs had probably bought from them. When I indicated that yeah he was probably right, since the hr-2600 was better than most any other radio, good god one would think I had advocated overthrow of the arrl or something. Anyway, the chipswitch is cool, a friend of mine just put one in his rig.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I don't think I will spend an extra $50 on the 2600 so I can listen to CB [​IMG] It works fine on 10 for a $40 radio. Does the &quot;Chipswitch&quot; give you any new features? If all it does is open up the VFO, I don't think the preselector in that rig is wide enough to do both 12 and 10, but I could be wrong.

If I wanted to talk on the CB, I would just buy one for $20. [​IMG][/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    No, thats not all it does. The Chipswitch adds, 100 memories, split frequency operation, and the full coverage of 12 meters. The splits for FM repeaters would be worth the money to me. I am still practicing code, so it will be another month or so before I can use mine. I have it sitting on my shelf as motivation.

5. KD5VHF

KD5VHF Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ke4pjw @ Nov. 06 2003,14:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don't think I will spend an extra $50 on the 2600 so I can listen to CB [​IMG] It works fine on 10 for a $40 radio. Does the &quot;Chipswitch&quot; give you any new features?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Lots of nice features. Check the link. Chipswitch

6. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

SDI:

Every Uniden HR-2600 that I have seen had the split for 10 meter FM repeaters already installed. Now, the HR-2510 doesn't have this split.

Glen, K9STH

7. KD5SDI

KD5SDI Ham Member QRZ Page

my bad Glen, I haven't operated mine, since I am a tech. I am living vicariously through my buddy down the road. I installed the chipswitch for him and he was telling me about it while I was doing it. He said that it made the splits, and since Ihadn't seen what it was like before. Oh well you know how it is!!!

8. KC7HDE

KC7HDE Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I use a HTX 100 to mobile on 10m.
    The rig was beat to near death in my old Freightliner but I have sense repaired the little rig and will mobile around in my pick up truck instead.

I made many contacts on my little 10m rig when I would get below the 45 parallel North.
    Up in in my neck of the woods here in Washington State I would make contacts but nothing like in the lower states.

Norm. T.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.