10 Meter Activity

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by K6BSU, Jul 4, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. K5TEN

K5TEN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

One night in 1987 a friend of mine & I were on 1om ssb at about 500mW on beams each way , about 8 miles away. There was a breaking station...Scott-Admunsen Station at the South Pole. 5/9 both ways for all of us. Sunspots are a wonderful thing :)

2. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

BEAMS? Sounds CB to me....
    YAGI is the proper ham term OM... fyi ;)

3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

K9ASE and KS2G like this.
  4. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Err,............. Many Amateurs use beam antennas that are NOT a YAGI design. fyi

KC9YGN, KS2G and K3XR like this.
  5. N5AVF

N5AVF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Mr. Uda would disagree. ;)

W7CJD and KS2G like this.
  6. K5ABB

K5ABB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My Hex Beam antenna is not a Yagi, but it is a beam.

7. M0YRX

M0YRX Ham Member QRZ Page

What ever you want to call it , just point "it" to the UK in June/July for abit of trans-Atlantic 10m SSB.

2E0TWG likes this.
  8. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Ten M Info
    Every spring and fall there is sporadic e-layer propagation, even in lowest solar minimum. The openings can be very strong in ;paths between small geographic regions. they may last only minutes or for many hours. Best cue to this kind of opening is listen to the "beacon band" from 28.2 to 28.3 MHz. Tune this range, if you hear a beacon or more , ID them and aim your antenna that way.
    Near the solar max years, F layer openings can span the globe ! I worked most of my serious DX on 10 M with 100 W and a three element 10 M Yagi up 25-35 ft. About half on AM or SSB, half on CW and a few on FM !

CW QSOs can be found from 28.030 to 28.060, SSB from 28.350 to 28.450. FM from 29.5 to 29.7 MHz.

9. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

My Kenwood TS520 had a 600 kHz VFO tuning range on each band. Took 3 band switch positions to cover the 10 M band.
    I Rarely went to the high end because the 520 did not do FM.
    For a 300 kHz portion I would prefer 28-28.300. Just into CW here.

10. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Isn't a "HexBeam" just a set of bent around fan dipole elements ?