10 Meter Activity

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by K6BSU, Jul 4, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K6BSU

K6BSU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello. I am in the final "tweaking" process on a home-brew HF receiver. The VFO covers a 300 KHz portion of any band, which covers the most part off all bands except 10 Meters.

Right now, my 10 Meter coverage is 28.3 to 28.6 MHz. By changing crystals I can cover any 300 KHz part.

There is little or no activity on 10, so I can't tell which part of the band I am most likely to find SSB stations.

I have not used 10 M for many years, so I am not familiar with the convention, or where stations congregate these days.

Can anyone point me to the most likely part of 10M where I can find the most stations?

2. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

If I was to pick a 300 kHz section I'd go for 28.200 - 28.500 MHz.

28.2-28.3 MHz has lots of beacons.

SSB is busiest below 28.5 MHz.

That coverage will however miss CW & digital modes (lower) and FM (above 29 MHz).

3. N5PNZ

N5PNZ Ham Member QRZ Page

10 meters has been having opening for a little more than a month. I find most ssb activity between 28.350 up to about 480 with most at 400-410. There is a net on 28.383 in Ga every evening. I generally keep a rig tuned to 28.400 (calling freq) most of the time while I'm working other bands on a different rig. Have made several contacts on 10 this way. Only once was FM caller heard.
    Was going to put up a better antenna for 10 but am afraid that by the time I get it up and tuned the opening will fade out. They have already dwindled from every evening to very irregular sporadic

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  4. K6BSU

Thanks for the info. I'll continue to check 10M every once in a while. It's hard to do final tweaking with just a signal generator. A real signal gives more confidence!

5. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

So never mind the coverage details for the moment.... LET'S SEE THIS RIG!!!

You can't post a "home-brew HF receiver" thread and hold back the pictures! Tell us about it - your own design? A schematic from the web? Does the receiver only cover one band at a time, and you decide that once and that's it? Or is it all ham bands?

Would love to hear more about it and see pictures. Not often we see threads on homebrew receivers.

:)

Dave
    W7UUU

6. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

We've (NH) been getting brief 10m openings every evening lately.
    28.400 is the SSB calling freq, usually some activity 20-30 kHz either side of there when the band opens.

7. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with Dave.
    We need pics and more detail please??
    An all-band homebrew rig is something to be proud of, and your 10M coverage
    is great for finding ssb activity.
    Please post in the homebrew forum?
    Jon

8. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

1754 07/08/18

Working that darn FT8 on ten right now. No stations heard on SSb or CW. No RTTY. Plenty of FT8, mostly normal summer stations in Cali. Hard to tell sometimes since I'v worked a W1, W7, K0 all in California in the last hour...

9. K6BSU

OK for you! I'll get some pictures and a circuit overview pretty soon. Stay tuned.

N5PNZ likes this.
  10. K6BSU

Check the "home-brew" forum for a report on this receiver.