ad: Flexradio-1

10 Keys to Selling Used Ham Gear Safely and Successfully

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8QS, Nov 2, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K8QS

K8QS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Excellent, Jerry. You are a service to the hobby.

Quin, K8QS
    Ham Radio Perspectives YouTube Channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MJT8o8-XMxF8XROf7Q5GA/videos

2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You should buy from better sellers.

I've sold test equipment and a radio or two at my club hamfests. I pay the extra few dollars for AC power at my table and present the gear powered up and working. I bring along any accessories needed for the demo such as probes, dummy load, signal generator, etc. The prospective buyer can operate the unit right there and we both have confidence that it's working as described.

PY2NEA likes this.
  3. K8QS

Great suggestion, Bob.

Quin, K8QS

4. N6KV

N6KV Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been trying to sell a Kenwood TS-430S HF radio. I'm disabled plus I just moved from California to southern Oregon I want to sell it locally, I had a guy in Portland who wanted it but I cannot ship it. I got it in 2003 I am the second owner the guy who owned it was a silent key and a friend was selling for the widow. it had a tuneup in 2005. I used very little maybe less than 100 hours total, it was last on the air in the of winter2017 puts out 100w and my antenna fell down in the winter of 2017 so I could not replace the antenna do to not having $$$. I just got a big inheritance and brought a big house. I also got several new radios, FT-991A, FT-891, G90, FT-817ND, and a BB7A Antenna. so that's why I am selling it.

5. KF5ZPL

KF5ZPL Ham Member QRZ Page

Everyone thinks their merchandise is worth more than your own. Yes we all try to get the most out of what we have to offer.
    Anything is only worth what you can get for it. Consider what is the motive ...to sell the things you owned and enjoyed for a while and get half of the value and to pass on tho someone else such as a new HAM, (good deed)-without a warranty or sell as high as you can and rape a buyer that really needs help-...This goes on a lot. I say a fast quarter is better than a slow dollar -plus you will never miss the item you are selling. Just re-coop some of the monies and fund a new item yourself-with a warranty..
    My first radio was reasonably priced and used--- it got me into the hobby we all love at a fair price Since then I have purchased several other items and I am thankful for the opportunity to be able to have my radio station. Food for thought..
    KF5ZPL
    Brad

PS- I work Flea Markets and I have found that the more generous I am with people the more comes my way. Karma does work!

PY2NEA and WA9TDD like this.
  6. K8QS

Brad, thanks so much for your interesting and insightful response.

Quin, K8QS

7. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And yet you're posting negatively about eBay? Something doesn't add up here...

8. WA1KPD

WA1KPD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

RE: Pricing
    I look at it this way.
    • I try and find a reasonable assessment of market value if there are many on the market. Nowadays it is pretty easy to value a IC-7300, FT-817, etc.
    • I look at eBay "Sold" listings and see what they went for.
    • 99% of the time I can get a reasonable understanding of the value for it. I price at or below the midpoint. The small differential is worth the buyer being comfortable with what they are getting and avoids arguments later. If it is less than I paid, I don't sweat it. This is a hobby and like any other hobby (travel. old cars, golf) it has a cost to it. So the depreciation of the item is the cost of the fun I had.
    • I don't take "offers". I have already priced competitively.
    • All items are sold "as is". I go overboard to try and capture and note any scratches, defects, etc. That way buyers usually get a rig that is better looking than they expected.
    • I almost always use a local pack and ship outfit. I tell the buyer that they will deal directly with them on the phone so they can select the method of packing, insurance, carrier, and urgency such as "same day". So once I drop it off at the shipper, I am out of the loop.
    So far so good
    Carl WA1KPD

K8QS, WA9TDD and KD5BVX like this.
  9. KF5ZPL

KF5ZPL Ham Member QRZ Page

K8QS
    Good deal.
    NO right or wrong just ADVICE!
    Thanks have a great Holiday Season this year--- in this strange year!
    KF5ZPL
    Brad

10. K8QS

Great points, Carl. Thanks.

Quin, K8QS

11. K8QS

We're trying to serve the community, Brad. Appreciate your comment. Do look at our other videos too.

Quin, K8QS