10-80 meter transceiver for $119 shipped

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by AE5X, Dec 10, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. N6ALT

N6ALT Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure what you mean by 'Stable', the radio is fully synthesized and does not drift at all. The first contact I made on mine was on 60 meters (CH5) 5.403.5. Since then I have work many 60 meter stations with excellent reports. The uBitx is a really nice radio. I am still waiting for the enclose I ordered to get here so I can finish it up, meanwhile I use it everyday even though it's just sitting on my bench with wires going everywhere.

Joel
    N6ALT

2. N6ALT

N6ALT Ham Member QRZ Page

Now it is finished and working quite well.

Joel
    N6ALT
    IMG_3151.JPG

W7UUU, K9ASE, KD4MOJ and 4 others like this.
  3. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

anyone else finished theirs? pics, problems?

4. KG5UMH

KG5UMH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A very nice build Joel. I gave my uBitx to my Elmer. Waiting for his to come in and I'll build that one -

N6ALT likes this.
  5. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

I received mine several weeks ago and haven't even opened the package. After I had ordered it, I found out it is no good for CW, which is all I do - so I'm not sure it's of any use to me to spend time setting it up.
    I was very disappointed and wished I had done my homework up-front. Live and learn.

6. K2CAJ

K2CAJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I recommend ebaying it quickly---they still have a two-month backorder, and a bunch of people seem desperate to get one. You could probably make up the shipping entirely.

I suspected it was not going to be a good rig for CW when they explained that it used a single analog input line for the key, and that it could detect two paddle inputs if they were both wired to the pin with different resistances. That did not sound like it was a decision made by someone who uses a paddle: aside from the measurement being prone to error, it was designed to sense one paddle input or the other, but not both at once.

7. KG7VLX

KG7VLX Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not a CW guy but I love to do SOTA. How is this as a SSB rig? I was eyeing it as a backup for my FT-817 and it seems to check the important boxes; Light, cheap, and battery powered.

Chris
    KG7VLX

8. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

Question: Is there a way to add a CW filter to a radio that doesn't involve messing with its innards?

9. K2CAJ

K2CAJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi,

I'm afraid I'm not an expert, as I've bought the uBITX for SSB (digital, to be more specific.) You can always pass the final audio output through an audio CW filter (here's a couple filters demonstrated with a uBITX, and another demo of the NESCAF filter, although not on a uBITX.)

If you don't use an audio filter, I think the other option would be tampering with the board. On the input side I suspect you'd also want to employ an external keyer, and there was some talk on the uBITX io group about cleaning up the key input.

KD8ZM likes this.
  10. KG5UMH

KG5UMH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have one on order. The one I received (ordered mid December, arrived mid February) I gave to my Mentor (Elmer) as he did not order till mid February. He is enjoying the heck out of it. Checks into nets on 40m with 7w all the time. Contacts several hundred miles away. Though I do not own, nor have I built, I have for the last four months been doing a bunch of research. These are designed as inexpensive platforms for people to build on and modify to do what you want with it. People are using them for CW, FT8, PSK, Winlink and phone. I recommend you do two things. Join the ubitx20 board on groups.io and pursue the ubitx.net site. Both places have a wealth of information on making the uBitx do what you want it to do.