ad: w5yi

10 + 6 meters is not "dead"

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N1VAU, Jul 15, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For the last 45+ days there has been sporadic-E openings on 10 meters just about every day and often on 6 too.

I like to squat on or near 28.4 Mhz USB and let my voice keyer call CQ on a "dead" band just to see what happens.

Friday afternoon I worked a couple of Europeans, Saturday night 6 Stateside.

I have found that posting my contacts on http://www.dxsummit.fi/#/ seems to help "wake up the band" too.

https://www.dxmaps.com comes in handy sometimes too

FYI- I'm using 100w and a dipole.

My buddy Jim KB1AZ has worked a whole bunch of 6 + 10 meter DX with FT-8 lately, including Russia.

My advice is to stop reading the "ham life sucks at solar minimum" threads, just get on and call CQ for 30 minutes to see what happens!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    KD8ZMN, WZ7U, KB2FCV and 2 others like this.
  2. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

There are some real good openings on 10m/6m in the later spring & summer months. On 6 I just have 100w and a 3el M2 on the chimney. It's enough to play around with and have a lot of fun. So far 48 or 49 countries worked and 200+ grids worked with my setup.

I've noticed it seems far more and more have gravitated to Ft8 now on 6m. I don't hear as much cw anymore.

N1VAU likes this.
  3. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. I got 20 QSOs on 10m Saturday during IARU. Could have bene a lot more had people actually LISTENED to see if it was open instead of just adhering to the "low sunspot, dead band" mentality so many have adopted.

WE4E and N1VAU like this.
  4. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Same on 20. Middle of the night, nary a signal until you spin through the digital gutter and there's those spooky noises loud enough to hear on usb. Everything is more open than most think.

N1VAU likes this.
  5. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have worked a lot of new grids on 6 meters this summer with a Par Omni-Angle 50 at 40 feet and 100 watts. Fun! :)

N1VAU and KA0HCP like this.
  6. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This. Right. Here.

7. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, summer conditions. Pretty normal for polar path stuff then.