1 month, still no HF contacts

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by KG5ENI, Mar 19, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N4AAB

N4AAB Ham Member QRZ Page

55 QSOs and I got one QSL card mailed today. About 8 special event stations so far.

2. KE6KA

KE6KA Ham Member QRZ Page

At that time of the evening (many of us refer to it as 'greyline'), calling CQ isn't likely to yield any results unless you have a signal strong enough to be competitive with people using something like a dipole, or better. You would have better luck finding a slow-paced ragchew and asking for a break, then explain your station and ask them for a report. You are probably being heard. It is just that at that time of the evening 40 meters is packed with very strong signals and people tend to not reply to weaker stations.

3. AB8RO

AB8RO Ham Member QRZ Page

I like to test out new antennas during big contests. Get on in the last hour or so of the contest. You will be the only new call to everyone within earshot. Believe me, they'll hear your CQ then and they'll answer you, unfortunately, the 59 signal report won't be of much help. Still, you can still get a good sense of how you're setup is doing by where they are and how many times they ask you to repeat something.

4. N4AAB

N4AAB Ham Member QRZ Page

I've gotten most of my 55 in the morning and afternoon on 15m and 20m.

40m, when I check it, seems full of nets and round tables.

5. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Using hamsticks is just like using a dummy load! I should know!! I tried for years to get out Mobile with them. I made a few contacts but in general they might load up but U will not get out with a darn! I can't imagine trying to use them for a base station! PUT Up a G5RV, then U can get out!

6. AB8RO

AB8RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, sure, they're a (very) short vertical. That said, I have had decent luck with the "dogtenna," certainly better than anything else that went up as quickly.

The dogtenna requires four components: 1) a hamstick, 2) a dog stay, these are are steel and they screw into the ground. They have a triangle on top that you can use to affix a, wait for it, 3) mirror mount. The last thing that you need is 4) a counterpoise. Mount the mirror mount to the top of the dog stay and screw into the ground. Attach the counterpoise, I just loosened one bolt of the mirror mount and twisted the wire around the bolt, tighten. Insert the hamstick into the mirror mount and, finally, stretch out the counterpoise. The counterpoise that I used was some copper mesh pulled from the back of ribbon cable. It was "about" a quarter wavelength on 40 meters. I made multiple SSB contacts with 2.5 watts up to about 1000 miles away, IIRC.

Note, this worked horribly at my home QTH in the city among buildings, it only worked reasonably well out in large and open spaces such as a large city park, or an open field. It was my favorite car-camping antenna for a while just because it was easy to pack and worked, like I said, as well as anything else that I could put up as quickly. I will admit that it might have been working more like a really bad NVIS dipole and that the counterpoise was doing all the work. I certainly made no efforts to model or test this seriously.

7. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

HF Mobile antenna notes.

The higher freq hamsticks are not that bad but 40M is "iffy" and 80M version has a pretty low efficiency.
    I tried using a Hustler mobile antenna for a few years and it was the standard of the mobile HF world from what I heard back then.
    One afternoon I was parked at a site, waiting for a vendor to show up and I strung a 65 ft wire from my van to a point about 40 ft up the tower, Called into a group in Ohio on 75M and got some reports from them with the Hustler and then unscrewed the ant from the ballmount and attached my 65 ft sloper wire and got more reports from the guys (about 100 miles south of me)/
    With Hustler, mostly S5-S7
    With wire, mostly over S9 !

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  8. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure, "UR 599 CA PSE RPT ALL BK"