1 month, still no HF contacts

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by KG5ENI, Mar 19, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KG5ENI

KG5ENI Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello all,

About a month ago I bought a yaesu 857d for my first HF radio and put it in the jeep using MFJ hamsticks for 10, 20, 40, and 80 meters and a diamond VHF/UHF dual band. I still cant get anyone to talk to me, or anyone to hear me and Im not sure what to do next. I have bonded everything, but could put a couple more straps in when I get the time. I was using 40 meters yesterday evening, the band was supposed to be wide open, using 100 watts and calling CQ for 30 minutes I couldnt get anyone to respond. Money is tight so a new antenna or antenna tuner is out of the question for another 6 weeks or so, is there anything else i can do? Is there something I'm missing with the new radio as far as settings go? VHF/UHF works great. got my tech in october '14 and general in december.

Thanks in advance,
    Mason
    KG5ENI
    Dallas, TX

2. N3DCP

N3DCP Ham Member QRZ Page

Mason,

Are you part of any local clubs? I would try asking someone maybe in the sked section on qrz or local in your area (club or elmer) to see if someone could try and see if they hear you. I would offer but being the bands are terrible atm and I don't have a great antenna I don't think my little 817 will have much luck.

KD8NGE likes this.
  3. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

For the last several months the bands not been very stellar. Also take to heart the suggestions N3DCP pointed out. Maybe you have equipment problems?

4. W9AMM

W9AMM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Have you tried throwing some wire in a tree just to see what happens? Building a 20m dipole is easy and cheap.

KC5JSR likes this.
  5. AA9G

AA9G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

6. KD2CTY

KD2CTY Ham Member QRZ Page

There have been some bad solar storms. The bands are quiet except for local activity. Wait a few days until the conditions are better.

KC5JSR likes this.
  7. N9DSJ

N9DSJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you hearing any signals?

As others have said the conditions have been iffy of recent, but still after a month I would have expected you to stir up something.

I also agree to just try it on a simple dipole for 20 or 40 meters and see what happens.

Best bet might be to try and set up a scheduled contact with someone (preferably very very local) and see what transpires. Pretty hard to discern what may be going on with the information as given.

Bill N9DSJ

8. KC5AKB

KC5AKB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Mason,
    Give me a call if you like .
    Sent you a PM
    Welcome to the hobby . Ham Radio and the outdoors
    go hand in hand.

KC5JSR likes this.
  9. AJ2I

AJ2I Ham Member QRZ Page

Bands have been pretty bad as stated above, due to the solar storms. How is your SWR? Have you tried 20M during the day and 40M at night?

10. N2ADV

N2ADV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I can easily get into 5 land from here - let me know when you are going to be on the air and where you'll be and I can take a listen.