ad: SuperQSO-1

1 kW Cable

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by W9ZD, Jun 12, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W9ZD

W9ZD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Which coax would you use to safely carry 1kW for the 40 and 20M bands?

Which for a kW on six meters? Thanks.

2. N4FZ

N4FZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use RG-213 at my station. Easily handles 1.5kW on SSB. It has some loss on 6m, (0.793dB). Total coax length to my beam is about 50'. LMR-400 is a step up from RG-213.
    Here's a handy web site coax loss calculator. Coax Loss Calculator | KV5R.COM

KU3X and WB5YUZ like this.
  3. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

If the antenna presents a good match? Anything except RG 58. I personally use RG 213, most contest stations/serious DXers would use LMR-400 or better. The difference between the two is probably less than a dB in most applications, but people building serious stations know that if you can save .5 dB in six different places, that's 3 dB gain.

On 6m it probably pays to be more selective, especially if the cable is more than about a wave long, but I'm not much of a VHF op, so I can't offer any more constructive advice than that. I can tell you I use 213 on 2m also as a personal choice, but I'm not trying to win contests.

4. W9KEY

W9KEY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I like Davis RF Bury-Flex. It's an LMR-400 equivalent that is double shielded, uses standard connectors, and (as the name implies) is more flexible and suitable for direct burial. It was about $0.89 per foot last time I searched. But look around - prices vary considerably from different suppliers and even better if you need a 500 foot spool. K1CRA.com used to have good quantity discounts, but his site is presently down (as I write this).

Here are the basic specs: http://www.davisrf.com/buryflex.php

5. W4HWD

W4HWD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

On 40 and 20 RG-8X will do it, but I use RG-213. On 6m however use RG-213.

LMR-400 is overkill and due to it's solid center conductor, not flexible.

I won't use RG-58 for anything, not even jumpers between equipment. For that I use RG-8X.

DX Engineering is where I buy my coax.