1.9v ac on input of sb220 when keyed. Why? Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KG7HVR, Feb 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KG7HVR

KG7HVR Ham Member QRZ Page

I have both and sb220 and the newer HL 2200 they both have about 2 volt AC on their input when they're keyed up if you put a meter across the input coax to me that seems kind of strange.
    I'm concerned that this amplifier ruined the SWR sensing diodes when I hooked an Icom 706 Mark II G up to it.

2. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you measuring this with a 10 Meg Ohm input DMM?

Try this again with 1 K or 10 K resistor to ground, effectively across the DMM test leads.

KP4SX likes this.
  3. KG7HVR

fluke 16 and some other high-dollar Chinese multimeter I'm pretty sure that they're both true RMS reading meters

Attached Files:

4. KG7HVR

Heres what i found Screenshot_20190205-201837_Hancom Office Editor.jpg

5. AA5CT

More than likely you're seeing stray AC; I don't think the SWR detect circuits are going to be affected in a 706 series radio ... try the resistors, if the voltage is a mere fraction, its just 'stray' AC ... hold one of your meter leads up near a lightbulb - same effect.

6. KG7HVR

Here's the other
    I tried the lightbulb trick and I got 0.1 when I did that
    I'll look for a 1K or 10K resistor and try that also I just know that I don't see any voltage across the input in my solid-state amplifier so that's why I was kind of concerned Screenshot_20190205-202108_Hancom Office Editor.jpg 20190205_202311.jpg Screenshot_20190205-202220_Hancom Office Editor.jpg

7. AA5CT

I should ask - was this with antenna connected? I see about 20 or 30 mV AC using a scope connected to my 2 meter vertical, which is not DC grounded. After the first rain falls that value decreases by quite a bit ... I think I'm seeing stray AC on that antenna from the buried utilities in the alley.

If I do the same thing with a DMM in the car on a 2 m mobile antenna, underneath power lines I can see 2 or 3 V AC.

8. KG7HVR

.076vac with 10k ohm across leads

9. AA5CT

Ahh ... more like it. All the characteristics of "stray" AC line voltage. Those amps are not terribly well-shielded inside - did you have an antenna of some type connected too?

10. KG7HVR

Yep into my tuner then my 300 foot loop