ad: wmr-1

1.4 Million Watt Tour At The WRMI MEGAWATT Shortwave Site

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KJ4YZI, Jun 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KJ4YZI

KJ4YZI Ham Member QRZ Page

I got to tour the WRMI shortwave site in Okeechobee Florida, and if you have ever thought your transformer, balun or PA tube was big, you should see this video.

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      4.7 KB
      Views:
    KI7KVL, K8GQ, NL7W and 6 others like this.
  2. NJ4Y

NJ4Y XML Subscriber QRZ Page

wow, that's definitely on my list to visit. Only an hour or two drive away.

3. N3RW

N3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

Those rhombics remind me of the arrays used when I was with the US ASA. Now all that stuff is done by satellite...sure miss those big antenna systems!

4. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

Will there be anything worth listening to?

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

5. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

Impressive, as is there signal. For those interested, and they are fun to get, here's something from their site. I'm sure SASEs are appreciated:

For QSL cards, please contact:

Adventist World Radio
    Box 10188
    Silver Spring, MD 20914 USA
    E-mail: qsl@awr.org
    http://www.awr.org

6. KG4BFR

KG4BFR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good Job

7. N5WX

N5WX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the nostalgia. I worked for Tropical Radio Telegraph Co at the Ojus transmitting site in S. Fla in the 60's. We had fun scaring each other by dropping a steal plate when someone was inside the transmitter.

N4GST likes this.
  8. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Note that Radio Miami International (WRMI) is an independent service provider that leases air-time to many customers (not just Adventist World Radio) including many prominent international government broadcasters.

Their wikipedia and official web pages have additional info, including the option of submitting reception reports via a web form page for on-the-air acknowledgement and/or QSL by email or hard copy card,

http://www.wrmi.net/

Being close by, its on my list to visit too. Judging from other videos I have seen from other tours in the past it looks like the current owners and staff of the Okeechobee site are doing a great job maintaining the facility.

73 de John - WØPV

9. NJ4Y

NJ4Y XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I just talked to some other guys from the K4LKL club, we are thinking about taking a group down there.

10. N4YI

N4YI Ham Member QRZ Page

View attachment 378267
    Great Video. I have a HARRIS RF-755A 10kw Transmitter from Coast Guard. I tamed it for HAM. It uses (2) 3CX800A7 drivers and 3CX20000C7 Final. It was a good experience getting it on the air. (1500 pep)
    I wish I had bought all 21 transmitters. They wound up in Canada.
    Wayne W4IL ex N4YI P1010018.JPG

WA0CW, K8AI and KV6O like this.
  11. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

BC transmitters where the iron is big and death is just around the corner for the fool hearty.

12. N3HEE

N3HEE Ham Member QRZ Page

WRMI has some good music programming such as Blues Radio International . Not all religous programming. Very strong signal to eastern US.

NJ4Y likes this.
  13. WB1E

WB1E Ham Member QRZ Page

After dinner on most holidays, the family & I like to sit down & listen to WRMI & other stations on the old Crosley Super 11.

Great video, thanks for sharing!

Doug
    N5DMC

14. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

HOLY CRAP!!! WHOA NELLIE!!! AWESOME SETUP!!! But I'm happy with my "ELECRAFT KPA500" !!! Though I'm not able to get any specific area on a daily basis like WMRI !!!
    I just wonder what their (MONTHLY ELECTRICITY BILL) is per/mo ??? :)

15. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

HEY RON!!! That was very RUDE to "SCARE" the (Holy crap) outta somebody like that, but myself being a "Guy" I totally see the "warped-humor" !!! AH GEEEEZ!!! :)