ad: UR5CDX-1

1.25 Meter Amps

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by K7JCN, Jul 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Carl, do you know of a current source for the AM-6154?

I'm very familiar with that amp as I've modified them, myself -- but that was back in the early 1980s when Fair Radio had a bunch of them. They don't list them anymore and haven't in a long time...know of another source?

2. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

3. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

The AM series show up often on the various For Sale & Swap sites and at hamfests in this area anyway. There must be hundreds being used as winter ballast and under bench foot rests these days.

I picked up 6154 already done over and on 222 2 years ago for $150, had to drive 2 hours to VT for it. It is now up on FM simplex so I dont have to retune the 8877 to give out contest Q's; I drive it with an antique crystal controlled Clegg FM-76. For quick contacts it will run 350W without overheating, and helps to blow thru the multi multi frequency hogs. The pair of long boom Cushcraft 220 yagis trimmed a bit to 222.5 at 110' help :)

4. N0LWF

N0LWF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There have been some 1 and 1.5kw Larcans around. I run the 1kw version. You will not find a better amp on the market.

5. K7JCN

K7JCN Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, if any are for sale around let me know. Not seeing much on the net except conversion plans. I may settle for a Mirage but would rather not have to, again, as reviews were not very good.

6. WB2WIK

They might show up there okay, but they seem to rarely show up around here.

Fair Radio Sales had a lot of them in 1978-1984 or so but now seems to have "none" for a long time.

They also had a lot of the higher band models and the tunable band pass cavity filters...but they don't seem to have them anymore, either.:( Those filters were an amazing deal in the late 70s/early 80s, they sold them for about $45 or so and they're very good. I still have them for 222 MHz and 432 MHz, and won't part with them because I couldn't homebrew anything like that for nearly what they cost.

7. WB2WIK

Well, if you buy a new one it will have a warranty.

The Mirage designs are very solid, no problem with them. The issue is "workmanship" (sloppy soldering, etc) over the years. If you get a "good" one it will probably last forever. If you get a "bad" one, it may not work well right out of the box.

I must admit the "old" Mirage (brown face) amps are more reliable than the "new" ones (black) even though the circuits are exactly the same. The difference is workmanship.

My Mirage amps from the early 1980s still work fine, never had a problem with any of them. The new ones are the same schematic, but workmanship may not be as good.

8. K7JCN

My 2 meter amp works great for my Echolink station and it gets a fair amount of use. So far so good! I've been lucky with most of my purchases so far, but I tend toward stuff that has a 4 or greater rating on eham.net or maybe even 3.8 or greater depending on what it is and what I'd use it for. I take them with a grain of salt anyway but there's good info on the pros and cons that's for sure.

9. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This plus a TV antenna rotor http://www.dxengineering.com/parts/csh-a224wb will give you a lot of gain and no amplifier needed. Aluminum is always cheaper than amplifier watts until you get into really big arrays, then it can start to be a tossup but anyone running 4 long boom yagis is also likely running a 1.5kw amplifier for contesting or moonbounce,

10. K7JCN

The problem with a beam is its directional. For what I'm doing I want the vertical, omnidirectional. Then I won't have to worry about what direction it's pointed when I'm mobile and trying to call home, LOL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.