ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
  1. KJ4QCV

KJ4QCV Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok guys be gentle this is my first post and my Call Sign was just issued today. While waiting for my License to show up in the ULS, I have been looking around to see what I want to get.

Here's what I have tentatively decided on.

Yaseu FT-2900 and 2 Larsen antennas one for mobile on a permanent NMO mount, and the other for the house on a base NMO mount on the roof.

Now for the confusing part... The larsen NMO 1/2 and 5/8 are both 51.5 inches high. How can they both be the same length. Which is the better choice? The 1/2 costs about $15 more.

....and the general class study guide is already in the mail from Amazon :D

2. N3XP

N3XP Ham Member QRZ Page

I am a 1/4 wave fan when comes to 2 meters mobile. I saw little difference using a 5/8 wave, and in fact in urban areas the 1/4 performed much better. As for the house, what about a true home/base antenna. Cushcraft makes some nice single band home antennas for $60, as does Diamond. Using a true base antenna you will get gain, and gain is your friend.

3. NUBZ

NUBZ QRZ Member

not to jack your thread here but
    how the hell can they be the same length and be different wavelengths
    thats not possible from what i understand wavelengths to be

4. WX4XW

WX4XW Ham Member QRZ Page

KJ4QCV,

Hello neighbor... Congrats on your ticket and welcome to QRZ forums. We are glad to have you. I am new as well. I got my ticket at the Gray Hamfest. See/Hear ya around. Have fun.

5. N3XP

N3XP Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok there nubz, back it down a bit until you get a call sign.
    The height or physical length of the antenna does not really mean a whole lot. There are plenty of ways to have a 2 meter 1/4 antenna that stands 15 inches or 23 inches.

Take a look at the Larsen, Diamond, or HRO catalog and you will see how a 1/2 wave and 5/8 wave antenna can have the same physical length and different electrical lengths.

HRO is the best, they show all the antennas side by side.

6. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

The difference in gain between the antennas is 0.5 dB so you would never hear the difference! A half wave antenna is more difficult to match and might be more narrow banded.

My choice, which I have on my car, is to get a 1/4 wave antenna (cheap) until you get a little more experience! ;)

fp
    :)

7. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

8. WA9ZZZ

WA9ZZZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The 1/2 wave antenna is usable where you do not have a ground plane. For instance, if you car has a fiberglass body.

The 5/8 wave antenna has the most gain and would probably be your better choice. (I just use a 1/4 wave whip.)

When you get a typical mobile antenna you get a whip at least long enough for the lowest frequency that the antenna is built for. Then you cut it down to the specific range that you are interested in. As JEM explained, after you have cut the whip, it will be the length you would expect for 1/2 or 5/8 wavelength.

9. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Whoever wrote the ad wasn't a radioman!

See above.

WRONG!

You most certainly do need a groundplane with a 1/2 wave antenna, you just need a smaller groundplane than with a 1/4 wave design.

Sometimes, the manufacturer counts the loading, or matching coil as part of the radiating element,it's not really correct, but they do.

Rege

10. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

Another nice thing about a 5/8 wave 2M antenna is it works great on 6M (as a quarter wave I think).
    I made many contacts this summer using a magmounted 5/8 2M antenna on 6M SSB in my minivan.

Much fun was had!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.