ad: QSLWorks-1

1.2 GHz high-speed D-STAR in Minnesota

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Dec 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. WA5BEN

WA5BEN Ham Member QRZ Page

Whatever Larry...Hurrinace Andrew caused more damage than any tornado to date...and that's a fact.

There are just as many conventional systems across the nation that have failed where hams have been called out. A major failure is a major failure no matter what the technology is.

That would be correct, I have been involved with this system from its initial design as the project engineer authoring the 250 page SOW, overseeing its construction, and final aceptance and I have consulted on many others. They all have worked fine even in the heat of the moment.

I have 60 agencies that operate on one band, and one band only both inside the County and State-Wide to include all the locals, State LE agencies, and Federal (ICE ,FBI, & TSA) in both a trunked and conventional environment. That is true interoperability with no crossband patching required.

Bring on the nukes!

Yeah whatever you say Larry....[/QUOTE]
    1. The difference is that trunking systems BY DESIGN have MULTIPLE SPOF (single points of failure). Any one of them will take down the system, or a large portion of it.

2. There is no cross-band patching. Users interoperate by selecting a channel that is programmed into their radio at all times, and used frequently.

3. Like I said -- conceivable. A nuclear blast would disable most systems. Conventional systems would certainly have a better chance of survival, however.

4. Well trained, disciplined, and dependable volunteers should not be the exception -- and will not be if a program is well run.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.