“This Week in Technology,” or TWiT to add Ham Radio Show

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KJ4IDH, May 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB0OXD

KB0OXD Guest

Yeah - With a big fat *DOH! :D

Cheers & 73 :)

2. KB0OXD

KB0OXD Guest

If I wanna hear people go on political tangents, I'll watch the cable news channels, thank you very much! :)

If I wanna get on MY OWN political tangent, I have a place for that. (That would be here for those who care to check it out). I don't need to pick up the mic of either my ICOM IC-706 MKII-G or my ICOM IC T7H to do this, thank you very much :)

Besides, why limit my audience to just a few locals or people around the world with ham radio RXers when I can have THE WHOLE WORLD (Both Hams & Non-Hams alike) as my oyster? Seems rather silly, doesn't it?
    Well that depends on when you were born. I was born in 1966. I think that makes me a baby boomer.....
    AMEN to that :)

Cheers & 73 :D

3. KA1BNO

KA1BNO Ham Member QRZ Page

This great, I already watch Twitv live in the evening when I get home. It's about time Ham radio gets more exposure.

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  4. N4RRL

N4RRL Ham Member QRZ Page

I heard a story years ago:

An elderly gentleman was sitting on the porch of a general store in a small town and a stranger came walking down the road from the next town over and stopped to greet him.

The stranger asked the gentleman, "How are the people in this town?"

The gentleman answered with a question, "Well, how were the people in the last town?"

The stranger answered, "They were the meanest, discourteous, stingyest bunch of sorry no-good jerks I ever did meet! I was so glad to get out of that place!"

The elderly gentlman replied, "Well, you will find they are just like that here, I wouldn't stay here if I were you."

The stranger nodded and wandered on down the street and out of town at the other end of town.

The gentleman sat there a few more hours and soon another stranger wandered into town from the same direction. He, also, stopped to greet the elderly gentleman and asked him as well, "How are the people in this town?".

The gentleman answered again with the question, "Well, how were the people in the last town?"

The stranger answered, "They were the nicest, most courteous and giving people in the world, they would give you the shirt off their backs if you needed it. I was sad to leave there."

The elderly gentlman replied, "Well, you will find they are just like that here, We hope you plan to stay a while."

The moral being, You will find people, for the most part, will treat you as you treat them, whether good or bad.

So, if you treat the new hams like they are a burden, and are no good, and you don't try to elmer them and gently correct them, how do you expect them to be the good hams that you would like them(and yourself) to be?

Also, you don't have to be old, to be an old fart abd be set in your ways - open up, welcome the new ham, take him/her under your wing, show them the right way to do things(not necessarily the way YOU do things!), be a good citizen, be helpful, etc. and maybe that new ham will be so much better than you expected. It doesn't hurt to try, does it?

Let's get the negative out of Ham Radio and off the boards, and welcome new hams into the fold and build Ham radio into a better place!

Just my 2 cents worth..

5. W4RAV

W4RAV Ham Member QRZ Page

That's one reason I used digital modes and seldom have a mic hooked up to the HF radio. (Not that 2M CB is any better.) That way, I really don't have to hear anything and still get a great QSO going. I don't recall ever seeing a foul word or racist remark ever ticker across my digital waterfall.

But really, don't let a few over-powered loudmouths with no respect taint the flavor of amateur radio overall. You don't have to look hard to find there are thousands of hams out there that are just as decent as they'd be in church.

6. W4RAV

As a fellow 66'er, no, we're in the first couple of years of "Gen X". We just missed being grouped in with all those hippies!

7. KB0OXD

KB0OXD Guest

Ohh good cause we were only THREE YEARS OLD when Woodstock happened (Thank God!) :D *LOL!*

BTW FYI.....In listening to your SHOUTcast stream, all I'm getting is an OPEN SQUELCH :eek:

Cheers & 73 :D

8. W4RAV

Thanks for that... It's K7RPT here, 147.120. Squelch is full and it's still there with a carrier. I'll have to block that one for now.

9. W4RAV

you might hear it again, recording some and letting the repeater folks know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.