ad: elecraft

“Radio caught on fire, when our technician tried to test it”

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by W9GB, Dec 3, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N6UH

N6UH Ham Member QRZ Page

So it would seem. Nice duds though!

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

So the fork-lift holes in the side of the box were caused by the sender? Hmmmm ... UPS didn't think so at least ;)

The radio had been shipped in 100% original triple shipping cartons as it came from the factory. That was a huge factor in the determination.... that, and the gaping hole in the side of the box that went all the way to the radio.

Dave
    W7UUU

3. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

Your original reply failed to mention this...

4. N6RGR

N6RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Has anyone requested the callsign of this supposed "technician"? I have been tempted a few times but their prices were just a bit high on some items. Too bad, that would have been a nice radio:(.

Roger N6RGR

N1RND likes this.
  5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

"Ham & HiFi" is owned/run by Ethan KG7LOV.

I believe his "technician" is/was Don W7SSB.

I've never bought anything from them, but the Kenwood shown which "caught on fire" would be a good deal for somebody if it really goes for the scrap price shown. The photos don't show any fire damage; maybe they were taking "pre-testing.":p

Not much flammable in there...my first guess was something shorted the power supply and the transformer went out in a blaze, which would probably only happen if a bigger than specified power line fuse was installed.

6. WA9UAA

WA9UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

I could filter caps smoking, that could be an expensive fix.

7. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I saw a receiver for sale cheap as-is. No receive on ebay. Looked at the pictures. Sure enough, the accy dummy plug was missing, which contains a jumper that is used to defeat the muting feature. Was very tempted to pay the cheap price but decided I didn't really need it.

8. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

It could be, but my guess is that someone tried to load it up with he wrong hand selected. That would smoke the cathode resistors... more smoke than fire. Caps and resistors are cheap and easy.

If the transformer burned, well, that becomes a different animal to repair. Fire extinguisher powder is insult on top of injury.

CO2 (better) or Halon (more better) is recommended for electrical shop work.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    KC8VWM likes this.
  9. N6UH

N6UH Ham Member QRZ Page

Isn't Halon banned here?

10. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

It was still available for aviation and sensitive electronics a few years back. I've got a tank in my shop that the company down the street will still service if needed.

This from Wiki (as far as that info can be trusted):

While the production of Halon ceased on January 1, 1994, under the Clean Air Act, it is still legal to purchase and use recycled Halon and Halon fire extinguishers. In fact, the FAA continues to recommend Halon fire extinguishers for aircraft.

Halon is a bit expensive, so CO2 may be the choice today for us regular folks. My feeling is that while dry chemical extinguishers are fine objects, their use on electronics is a death sentence to the piece of gear they get discharged into... although I could be over-reacting on this point... just clean in all up and keep on going... :)