“Radio caught on fire, when our technician tried to test it”

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by W9GB, Dec 3, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

A3FF7F30-0332-4197-BCD4-26425D904763.jpeg DE5EBCB4-F791-44D5-8646-7B8E1788C4E5.jpeg
    Kenwood TS-830S HF Ham Radio Transceiver for Parts or Restoration SN 3080119

This radio is in pretty good condition but does show wear. The radio actually caught on fire when our technician tried to test it. We had to put it out with a fire extinguisher and due to that there is dust leftover inside from it. Needless to say, we are selling this unit AS-IS for parts or restoration.
    ===
    This Nevada eBay reseller always states his technician checked out. His “tech” must be in “name only”.
    He flipped an Icom IC-821 last year ... and it still had dirt and smudges from original reseller.

2. G4LPL

G4LPL Ham Member QRZ Page

What an admission! Must have sold the variac on fleabay before that one came in

K9ASE likes this.
  3. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

"Our tech, a ham of 55 years..."

Caveat Emptor with that outfit, gang,

4. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

5. K5DH

K5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought a Ten Tec power supply from this outfit. Their "experienced technician" tested it and found that it had no output and would not light up, so it was sold as-is. I took my chances. When I got it, I jumpered the two center contacts on the output connector (you know, the ones that must be connected together to complete the AC line circuit, like the owner's manual says) and the supply works fine. Just like I figured it would. Some experienced technician! This is, of course, not the first time I've bought a working TT supply that "didn't light up when tested". What happened to reading the manual?

K7KBN, KC2TYV and K1ZJH like this.
  6. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

K9ASE likes this.
  7. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I doubt it will stay listed though if no significant bids start happening. No one is dumb enough to ship a radio for $50 that sold for $10 with "free shipping"

I predict it will get canceled in a few days

Dave
    W7UUU

K7TRF likes this.
  8. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Seems likely.

9. K1ZJH

K1ZJH Ham Member QRZ Page

I have never seen a "dust fire" in any ham or commercial equipment. Never. I've seen power transformers go up in smoke, but flames are pretty rare.

That outfit specializes in buying up ham estates and reselling the gear on eBay. There was big write up in a recent CQ Magazine about the operation.

He is figuring on the price going above his shipping costs--someone will buy it for parts.

Pete

10. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't mind buying stuff like that "as-is" as long as nobody "tests" it.

Of course, having the box arrive not sounding like a big maraca is a plus...

I'll pass... :confused:

K9ASE, KB4QAA and K1ZJH like this.