“QRO CLUB” OFFERS FREE DXPEDITION TRAVEL AMPS

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1YW, Sep 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Dick for your kind words.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

"I also hope none of the users will go on the lists and operate as real DXpeditions."--KM1H

Do you even work DX anymore, Carl?

KM1H might do well to realize that his obvious concerns extend to all users and all amps.

Your objection on tubes is not substantiated by the facts Carl. I have a tube bin of 6 8875's Carl. So much for unobtanium. Indeed, there are two for sale right now on EBAY. Not mine. Maybe I will buy 'em. Here is the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eimac-8875-...Y-OTHER-HAM-/181865017465?hash=item2a57fff079

And guess what: I also have a tube bin of 8874's so I can convert (you have to change the tube ventilation with an enclosure to pump air from the botton rather than the side) the 2500's to 8874's if needed And guess what: tubes blow. Who's holding who with that liabity, Carl? 'Buyer beware' is fine Carl--but there is no buyer.

Who needs to strap these amps to 1500 watts output?

All the caps have been re-capped. Isn't that obvious Carl?

And Carl, the 3cx800 conversion on the 2500's is a pain in the butt. You have to put the new filament transformer on the outside, and that takes it out of the realm of travel amp. And, as with the 8874's you have to build a ventilation enclosure. Odd you didn't realize that.

I am more experienced on these amps than you think Carl. And you should see the fun I am having coming up to speed on Alpha's.

Just remember ham radio is, in large portion, about fun Carl.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

1)8875's--easy to obtain. (See preceding post);
    2) Why waste time with single 3cx800--if you are going to change the filament transformer you might as well run -2- 3cx800's;
    3) I LOVE my ALPHA 91B with its "IMD DIRTY RUSSIAN TUBE"(s). Lotsa people do.
    4) Blown tubes? Sh*t happens. I suggest you just keep away from tube amps entirely Carl.

Chip W1YW

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

"I also hope none of the users will go on the lists and operate as real DXpeditions."--KM1H

KM1H's last evidence of DXing was in 2010 according to DX Heat...but apparently he believes he should still tell us all what to do.

What's the last Dxpedition QSO in your log, Carl?

You are not 'in the log' for K1N...and everyone worked K1N....

That's OK Carl. We all understand. Good luck on that.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  4. VU2RBI

VU2RBI Ham Member QRZ Page

why dont you help in India too for small dxpeditions.
    de
    bharathi vu2rbi

5. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ahhhh, heavy sigh:oops:.

Have fun
    Gary

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

What did you have in mind, OM?

Chip W1YW

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Some of the spare ceramic tubes. FUN puzzle--Can you identify these:) (Obviously I know). Hint: all have the same pin config.
    tubes.jpg

8. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

About every week but what is it to you Nathan?

Yep, a real suckers auction. $500 and no guarantee and no returns....sounds like something you would do. And knowing you a person who blew them would be charged a lot more then that. Some NOS pairs have gone for up to $1300.

Anyone not trained or accidentally Nathan. With 100W of drive, a typical 150W+ ALC spike from a xcvr and no grid protection circuitry and say bye bye.

I wouldnt trust anything you say Nathan unless it is in writing and witnessed.

The transformer mounts inside and a cooling enclosure is easy if you have sheet metal experience and simple tools.

With you it has always been me , me, me Nathan, you talk a lot about yourself.

Actually it was 2013 according to that but I cant expect you to be accurate in any case. Since I dont post on the cluster I also expect very few list me.

I havent any idea, since DXCC is such a sham with remote stations even on other continents counting I decided I had better ways to have fun on the radio.

Why bother as Ive had Navassa since Wayne Green, W2NSD, was there in 58 with the KC4AF group. Working it again just to claim I was one of the 140,000 + they worked didnt appeal to me.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  9. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Learn to think before you open the flapper Gary, it just catches flies otherwise.

10. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nonsense. Chip has generously given back to the hobby in a number of ways over at least the past few years that I am aware of.

If he was just about "me me me" then why would he be loaning amplifiers to benefit the hobby, assuming all the financial risk himself? That does not seem like a "me me me" thing to do.

Normally I would not get involved in defending Chip - he's quite capable of doing that himself - and in fact I sense that he may not like me interjecting - But your petty, arbitrary, attack is just completely out of place here. Baffling. Go take a nap and calm down, then go do something else.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
    W1YW and KO6WB like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.